Nikon D5300 Not Recognized in OSX Yosemite

gdboling

Last night I upgraded my MBP to Yosemite and now when I plug my Nikon D5300 in, it is not recognized. So it doesn't show up in Image Capture or Lightroom as an available device to import from. I've been googling for the last hour trying to see if this is a known issue but to no avail. Anyone here have this issue? Also, I checked the Nikon site for a firmware update but none was available for the D5300.

Daniel Aegerter

Can't speak for the D5300, but I just tried it on my iMac with the D7100.
No issues at all.
The iMac recognizes the camera and Aperture import works as usual.

Krs_2007

I assume you tried another cable and/or USB port. As well as a reboot and power cycle on the camera after plugging/un-plugging the USB cable.

RocketCowboy

My MacBook Air has lost its mind before and not "seen" anything on the USB port. Usually a reboot has fixed it. I'll trying connecting my D5300 to a USB port on my Yosemite Mac Pro and see if it identifies it or not.

wornish

This has happened to me in the past with my camera.
Apple keep changing the way they handle things plugged in via USB.

Plug in your camera with the USB cable and then run the Image Capture.app
This will show all the photos on your camera.
At the bottom of the image capture sidebar is a drop down - select your camera as the one to open when a new camera is detected. That should solve the problem.

By the way are you on the last version of Yosemite. If not then go to app store and click on the updates tab.
You could even update to the current operating system El Camino for free if you want, but as a minimum make sure you are on the last Yosemite version.

Last edited: