ISO question re: manufacturers

Sevenup

The 6D goes up to 25k range, whereas my 7000 goes to 6400 I think. I just found that quite a shock in difference..

This all started as we were comparing low light techniques and I was confused by how high her ISO is without "noise".

SteveH

What the settings will go up to, and what you would actually want to use, are two different things.... I have no idea on the performance of the 6d but having a quick google of usable iso shows most people don't go higher than 3200-6400 as the noise gets too much.

Sevenup

I really suspected that Steve, thanks! I don't go up to high ISO either, but when I questioned her on her great low light shots she said she can do that because her ISO is so high. I'll have to ask her how high I guess!

Sevenup

Yea, I realize that Mike! I just wondered, in general, if that high ISO is usable and if Nikon offers a similar availability in ranges... Its just something to think about since she and I are heading in the same direction of what we shoot ;)

SteveH

ISO noise is really a matter of what is acceptable, and also the type of shot you are taking - A black & white derelict building scene could be fine at high ISO as a gritty / grainy feel can add to the overall image.

Also, sometimes a noisy high iso shot is better than nothing, but if you really want high iso & clean shots, take a look at some D4s samples.

AC016

You're comparing a 16mp APS-C (DX) camera to a full frame (FX) 20mp camera. The full frame is going to have better performance at higher ISO in low light, it's a given.

Eyelight

I believe the 6D is a couple years newer than the D7000. In sensor technology and camera processor terms that's several lifetimes.

I've also read somewhere that Canon processes the image file for less noise which also reduces detail, so there might be a trade off to getting the higher ISO. A comparable generation Nikon like the D600 may show more noise SOOC, but when processed in post may end up with a similar image quality.

Felisek

Canon 6D is a full-frame camera, while Nikon D7000 has a crop sensor. This makes quite a difference to low-light performance. It would be more fair to compare the 6D to D610.

Edit: ah, I didn't refresh my browser. Only now I noticed that AC016 had already given the same answer.

Last edited: