External Mic and WR-R10 transceiver problem

Odidolypop

Hi, I've recently bought a Rode Videomic Pro, a WR-R10 transceiver and a WR-T10 remote controller for my Nikon D5200.

Today I was just about to test it all out when I realised that you can't fit an external mic into the mic port at the same time as the transceiver! I think this is a massive flaw and I'm wondering if there is a cheap solution to this? Does Nikon have some kind of extension cord for the WR-R10 transceiver?

I would appreciate any response soon as I may need to return the items!
Thanks in advance..

SteveH

Welcome to the forum!
I don't know if Nikon make a specific extension cord, I would very much doubt it - But I would imagine if the post is a standard fit then a 3rd party cable would be available.

SteveH

Having a quick look, it may be possible to make a cable - The port you have there is the MC-DC2 and a quick google will show you the pin-outs etc. Of course, if you go down this path you need to be very aware that you can damage your camera by wiring things incorrectly to it.

Odidolypop

So I emailed Nikon Support and they replied "The camera has no functionality where it could use an external microphone and a WR-R10 remote control unit at the same time. I can only imagine that is why the camera's ports were designed in such a way."

I guess that's that! I'll just have to start recording with remote and then plug in mic.. bit more hassle than I wanted but what can you do?

I still think it's a bit sly that they don't state these limitations upon purchase of camera or remote.. but hey ho..

Odidolypop

Haha indeed. I'm actually quite disappointed in the response from Nikon, I've spent a lot of money on them in recent months. The reason why I bought the remote was to easily film myself in focus, and I told them I bought the equipment to use it all together.

"When you are taking photos with the camera, you can simply disconnect the audio cable and when you are recording movies, you can disconnect the remote adapter and that way you will be able to use the appropriate accessory for the relevant task."

Obviously if you want to remotely capture film, for it to be halfway decent, your going to want the ext. mic as well. They would have surely known this when making the camera..?!