The Old Chimney

STM

Just playing around with PhotoMatix HDR. This chimney may not look like much but it actually as quite a history. I had to climb onto the roof of my Jeep, camera and tripod in hand, to take this image(s) and even then I still had to correct for perspective distortion. Taken with the 18mm f/3.5 AIS Nikkor.

Here is the history of this chimney. When most people think of the oldest settlement in the US, very few think of Pensacola. Truth be told, the Spaniards settled here first, but the Indians drove them off. The went around the peninsula and stopped in St. Augustine (south of Jax) and stayed. We celebrated our 450th (still young by European standards) anniversary back in 2008

Whiskeyman

The only reason Pensacola isn't considered the oldest city in North America is because it wasn't continuously settled/occupied by Europeans since then. Saint Augustine also has the Castillo de San Marcos, which lends to the "oldest city" impression.

Never mind how old the midden mounds left by the natives are...:(

STM

The only reason Pensacola isn't considered the oldest city in North America is because it wasn't continuously settled/occupied by Europeans since then. Saint Augustine also has the Castillo de San Marcos, which lends to the "oldest city" impression.

Never mind how old the midden mounds left by the natives are...:(

The Spanish were driven out both by hurricanes and Indians. They sailed around the peninsula and settled in St. Aug. We lived in Jax for several years in the late 80's and went to St. Aug frequently. It is a beautiful little town, and the Alligator Farm on the way is a must see!