What gives?

Whiskeyman

I'm browsing gear sales sites this AM and notice that there are a lot of pro bodies on the market (ebay, B&H, Adorama, etc). In particular, I noticed a lot of D800s and D800Es for sale, as well as a lot of D700s for sale much lower prices than I paid for mine 18 months ago. I figured that the prices would go down as time went on, but the amount is a bit startling.

Do you suppose the D810 and D750 driving a lot of changeovers?

It makes it almost worth picking up another body at this point, but no, my next purchase must be a lens.

WM

Last edited:

LensWork

I know of several that have traded-in their D800/D800e on the D810. This glut of used D800s on the market has pushed the value down significantly.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
I think since Nikon is releasing more bodies at a quicker rate than they have in the past is bringing down the value more quickly. The demand for said bodies is also decreased when there is always something newer on the market.

wornish

Same thing is happening here in the UK. Lots of D800/D800e on the market people are switching to the D810 which seems to still be in short supply. I checked with two camera shops for a trade in price on my D800 last week I was offered £1150 this week the best I can find is £850 !!

Wolfeye

I am nearly out of debt and you posted this thread JUST to make me go in debt again. :)

Lusting for a D800 for years, now see them used for under $1600... must resist...

alex6speed

Didn't the D700 and D800 suffer from oil spots on the sensor after use? I would think the originals buyers of these are starting to run away quick from these and getting "fixed" cameras in the form of D750s and D810s. Or at least it's an accelerant for the drop in price as well.

wornish

Didn't the D700 and D800 suffer from oil spots on the sensor after use? I would think the originals buyers of these are starting to run away quick from these and getting "fixed" cameras in the form of D750s and D810s. Or at least it's an accelerant for the drop in price as well.

Short answer - no.
only the D600 had the oil spot issue, hence the D610.

Ruidoso Bill

The D800 is not enough improve for me to change, if the D800 come down enough I will replace My D700 backup with a 2nd D800, very content with the performance.