which lenses to use with Nikon D3200

rahula

Hi all,

I am new to all this & to beging i have bought a Nikon D3200 HDSLR, which i have read has DX format sensor. i am thinking of buying a Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Lens but as i read that it is FX format i thought i'd better ask on the forum before buying. are FX format lenses compatible with DX format Camera.

and one more thing what is a UV lens filter as i am getting an offer of a free UV lens buy paying little more money
any help would be appriciated

J-see

You can use most FX lenses on a DX but because of the smaller DX sensor, not as intended. In many cases it matters less and if you already plan upgrading to full in the future, it might be better to buy FX instead.

UV filters have little use on modern day cams but it's a cheap way to protect the lens. At least that's what I use some for. On the other hand, with the quality build of most lenses today, if something manages to smash your UV filter, I doubt the lens itself will be damage free.

lidistick

You will need the 50mm F1.8G. The D version doesn't autofocus with this body. FX lenses will work. Don't bother with the UV filter. Spend the money on other things. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

J-see

You will need the 50mm F1.8G. The D version doesn't autofocus with this body. FX lenses will work. Don't bother with the UV filter. Spend the money on other things. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That too, some won't auto focus. You better check that first. I have the 50mm/G myself since it's too cheap and too good to not have.

Deleted

I agree with J-see. To explain further, FX lenses tend to be of higher quality, higher weight & size also more expensive than DX lenses. As J-see mentions, if you wish to upgrade at some point to FX, it makes sense to invest in FX lenses now, so that you don't have to replace all your DX lenses. It may be a better alternative, to aim for 2 or 3 DX lenses while you are learning, so that you can eventually determine exactly the sort of shots that interest you & therefore the lenses that you will end up with down the line.

DSLR camera have no need for a UV filter as UV light is controlled within the camera. What you may consider is a Protector filter, which just has glare coatings but no effect on colours at all. Best to get a good brand with high quality glass, such as Hoya, Nikon or B+W.

Bob Blaylock

Hi all,

I am new to all this & to beging i have bought a Nikon D3200 HDSLR, which i have read has DX format sensor. i am thinking of buying a Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Lens but as i read that it is FX format i thought i'd better ask on the forum before buying. are FX format lenses compatible with DX format Camera.

Since the D3200 does not have its own focus motor, it will only autofocus with lenses that include a focus motor in the lens. Any Nikon lens that is designated as “AF-S” or “AF-I” meets this requirement, and is in every way, fully-functional with the D3200.

FX lenses will work just fine on a DX camera. The issue that arises there comes from going the other way, putting a DX lens on an FX camera. A DX lens is only designed to cover the smaller DX sensor, and if used on an FX camera, will result, at least, in vignetting, and even rounding off of the corners and sides of the image. The only reason you should care about the distinction between DX and FX lenses is if you anticipate ever upgrading to an FX camera, in which case, you'll want to buy FX lenses n order to be able to fully use them on the FX camera.

There's another issue about which you ought to be aware. Perhaps you are looking at the 50mm lens, because you are under the impression that it is a “normal lens”, that will give an angle of view that approximates that of the human eye. That's only true if it is mounted on an FX camera. On a DX camera, is is a bit more of a mild telephoto lens. Remember that with a smaller sensor, you have to proportional scale down the lens focal length, to get the same angle of view. The “normal lens” for a DX camera would be around 28mm to 35mm.

and one more thing what is a UV lens filter as i am getting an offer of a free UV lens buy paying little more money
any help would be appriciated [sic]

Ostensibly, it is a filter to cut out ultraviolet light, which, in film cameras, could otherwise adversely affect the sharpness of the image. I don't know if that was ever really a significant issue with film cameras, and I understand it to not be an issue at all with digital cameras.

The real reason I had UV filters on all my lenses, back in the film days with my F2, and now with my D3200, is to protect the lens from damage. Should something happen that would otherwise damage the front element of my lens, it will instead damage a filter that is much cheaper and easier to replace than the lens.

adityasoman

Try experimenting with your camera in A S M modes..

Check out which focal length you like
Keep the kit lens on 35 and shoot
And then try for 50mm
35/50 Af-s G lens you will need (as only these will autofocus)

Good camera to start with...happy clicking :)

Sent from my GT-I9070 using Tapatalk 2

aroy

You can get either the 50mm F1.8G or the 35mm F1.8G. Both are relatively inexpensive, but very good lenses. As suggested, shoot with your kit 18-55 at 35mm and 50mm and decide what you like better. The 35mm is a DX while 50mm an FX lens.

drummerJ99

I had a 50MM AF lens on my 3200. Took great pictures as long as you had time to manually focus. Finally bite the bullet and upgraded to the 50MM AF-S lens. It's with the money and highly recommended. I can still manually focus if I want to but it's nice having the autofocus.