How often do you use special "effects"

tea2085

Like to ask veteran photographers about their usage of special effects for creative pictures- how often and which ones. Paul

J-see

The ones on the cam?

Easy answer: none, never.

To add the reason; if I'd desire effects, I can do that ten times better and easier in post.

Last edited:

BackdoorArts

I don't use anything in-camera. In post processing? It really depends on the shot and the purpose. It also depends on what you mean by "special effects". I use light manipulation filters and things like blur rather frequently, I occasionally use textures and light leak/scratch filters, borders and frames once in a while, and added things like lens flare and other rendered or added objects only when the image calls for it.

Now, if you consider things like messing with multiple images and varying layer blend modes, that again is an almost constant part of my work flow.

tea2085

I get what you guys are saying (now) and it certainly makes sense. Take the picture and then use what you want to use to tweak it. That's why I asked and- now I know. I will have many more questions -what a great resource!! Paul

J-see

Even if you shoot JPEG, it is best to apply any effects afterwards in post. If you start the shot with an effect, you're stuck with it. If you apply it afterwards in post and don't like it, you just go a step back and still have the original JPEG.

Horoscope Fish

I guess my next question would be- what software do you use to do post picture touch-ups/effects?
For really fast, super-simple stuff like basic cropping and resizing I use a freeware app called IRFanview.

For real post processing work I use Adobe Camera RAW in conjunction with Photoshop. Adobe Lightroom is another popular choice.

BackdoorArts

The miniature effect would be the only one I'd be tempted to use, particularly with video. The rest are all things I can do easily in post and I would rather have a RAW file that I have the option to tweak every and any way in post than a processed JPEG that I may not be happy with.

aroy

I had tried HDR once. The problem is that I shoot RAW and special effects are for jpeg only. Most of the effects can be replicated on the computer and achieve much better effects. These are fine for those cameras which shoot jpeg only, but if you are process RAW, they are not needed.

Another thing to keep in mind is that all effects and extras consume CPU - NR, Distortion Control, Active D lighting and there is no need as you can do them much better in post processing of RAW images. The extra load normally means that the burst rate decreases and the write time to card increases.

aroy

I guess my next question would be- what software do you use to do post picture touch-ups/effects?

I use Nikon Capture NX-D. It is free and does all that I want. What it will not do is
. Cataloging
. Advanced image manipulation
. Localized Image editing

As I need none of them I am happy with NX-D. But you can try Lightroom and Photoshop.

J-see

I do the bulk of all changes in LR. PS I only use to sharpen or add a gradient overlay should a background be too monotone. But 90% of the time I just sharpen using the high pass.

Lightroom has become the workhorse and if needed, I could do with that alone.

Unless you are going to create composites or do any other more tech manipulation, Lightroom is all you need.

Last edited:

Glevum Owl

Ditto most (all?) of the other posters: never use the special effects. I use only A, S, P & M modes and in that order.

Software: LR5 to discard/sort, geotag and some PP. PhotoShop for everything else.

My wife uses FastStone Image Viewer to view, sort & save.

tea2085

Being a total newbie- could I get along with Lightroom 3 or and older version of Photoshop. There are a ton of older versions on e bay with a greatly reduced price. Paul