Problem with macro filter

flipperzoom

Hello,

I have bought these cheap macro fitlers but the lens wont autofocus when i put them on. Neither with zoom or without.

Am i missing something? :(:confused:

J-see

If the macro filter is a close-up lens, your auto-focus will not work too well. It'll have to be manual to get some decent results.

J-see

That's probably going to be the problem. His filter changed the diopter value of the lens affecting it at both ends. The AF can't make much sense of this new situation.

J-see

The strength of the filter defines how much shorter your minimal focus distance becomes. If you add another on top, you'll have to get closer again.

Remember to close down the lens to get better results.

J-see

What Mike said. ;)

I don't know what causes it but from my experience, the filter requires a higher f/ not necessarily to get more depth of field but to get less "haze".

J-see

Also make sure you use a lens hood to protect it from any undesired light. On a close-up stray light is even worse than on a normal lens.

Shawn_B

Also make sure you use a lens hood to protect it from any undesired light. On a close-up stray light is even worse than on a normal lens.

you cant use teh raynox dcr-250 with the lens hood as it clips on to the front of the 70-300mm lens and the clip extends outwards

J-see

you cant use teh raynox dcr-250 with the lens hood as it clips on to the front of the 70-300mm lens and the clip extends outwards

Ah, didn't know that. You can improvise. I'm doing the same at times with my lens. Something wrapped around and some rubber to attach it will do the job if stray light is a problem.

It doesn't look spiffy but neither do I. ;)

yogirajj

false alarm! it works ! you just have to go REALLY close to the object! **feeling stupid**

No need to feel that way, it happens to everyone. I just want to give you a heads-up, you will need a lot of patience dealing with those cheap close-up filters. I purchased a couple of sets for two of my lenses, because I could not afford a real micro lens yet. I just love micro photography, I think its fascinating.

Just a couple of tips. Micro filters work best with prime lenses. Although you can use them on a telescopic lenses, you can't zoom because it does funky things to your DOF. Then again, from an artistic perspective, you can create some interesting looking photos. Also, if you still want to use your zoom lenses, you will need a lot of light should you want to zoom, as you play around with your aperture. It can be areal pain in the *ss if you don't have patience, but the results may be worth it to you. Imagine trying to take a portrait of someone with with a shutter speed of of 20 seconds with no tripod! That's what it's like using a micro close-up filter.

Last edited: