Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 SLD DG vs Nikon 70-300mm f/4-5.6G AF

T21

Hey guys I was looking at a cheaper telephoto lens and these are the two I've been looking at. The Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 SLD DG and the Nikon 70-300mm f/4-5.6G AF non-VR. I was hoping you could give me some input and point me in the right direction on which lens to get. I currently own a d5200 and a d7000. Thanks in advance.

mikew_RIP

Some my wife took with the sigma

nancy bradley2 004.jpg

nancy bradley2 006.jpg

nancy bradley2 029.jpg

T21

So the sigma is better for macro shots as well as zoom shots? Is the Nikon any good as far as macro and zoom or is it just all zoom?

mikew_RIP

As far as i can see the Nikons closest focus is 1,5mt the sigma is 70mm both at 300mm so the sigma should give a larger magnification,the Nikon i think has a plastic mount.

Between those two i would opt for the sigma,you dont say where you live but if its the USA i believe there are often good deals on the 55-300 refurbished,closest focus is 1.4mt but the IQ would allow for more cropping

T21

So pretty much overall the sigma is better in performance and in build quality, it just doesn't have the Nikon name on it. By deals, were you talking about the sigma or the Nikon?