Default Sharpness 3

Lalam

Hi
Being a new user of DSLR, I apologize if this has already been discussed. If not...
While I see the review details, every image of my D3300 shows sharpness as 3. I don't remember to have set or seen any sharpness setting. So is it by default?
Also is there any way to make it zero as in processing, I do sharpen the images.
Thanks in advance.

J-see

If you're shooting JPEG, the images are shot (processed) with a predefined sharpness which you can adjust in Picture Control. You can adjust saturation, contrast... etc there too.

J-see

Then the camera sharpness should not matter since when processing RAW, you define them when outputting your processed image. I have set the picture control on neutral and forget all about it after that.

In this case, check whatever program you're using to process the RAW and adjust the eventual settings there. LR as an example uses standard sharpness by default when I convert them as a JPEG for screen.

Last edited:

Lalam

In this case, check whatever program you're using to process the RAW and adjust the eventual settings there. LR as an example uses standard sharpness by default when I convert them as a JPEG for screen.
Agreed. But they show sharpness as 3 while viewing in camera itself. Is there any way to reduce that to zero?

J-see

Agreed. But they show sharpness as 3 while viewing in camera itself. Is there any way to reduce that to zero?

I'm not sure but you can try to go to picture controls, check what option it is using and lower the defined sharpness. I assume that would do the trick but I'm not certain. Try it and you'll know.

Skwaz

I can throw my bit in
Viewing on monitor shows a JPEG , I presume with all in camera processing
But , if you are shooting raw none of these settings effect the Raw file , and when loaded on a PC for editing , no in camera setting will be in effect

Eyelight

Depending on software used, the Picture Control settings may show up in the RAW rendition on the computer. View NX2 shows the in camera settings when viewing an NEF file and it does appear to apply some sharpening when compared to viewing the same NEF file in Lightroom. Sharpening was the only setting I had set, so maybe need to confirm this using an easier to distinguish setting.

WayneF

For Raw, it does not matter what it says. Raw does not use or include any of the camera settings. Raw is Raw, meaning, it does not use any of the camera settings. (Raw mode of course does use exposure settings, and AF mode, and there are settings like Raw file compression, etc, but Raw file data does not use Sharpening or Vivid or Contrast, or whatever tonal options).

Raw data is different than RGB data, meaning, the camera cannot even show a histogram, and cannot show the preview image on the rear LCD. So, what Raw does is to also embed a Large JPG image in the Raw file. This JPG image does use the camera settings. We see that JPG data on the rear LCD and in the histogram. Camera settings do affect the JPG view, but not the Raw file.

But later, when you download the Raw file to the computer, there are no camera settings in the Raw file. The settings are in the Exif, but the settings are not applied to the raw file. We make adjustments to convert the Raw file with the new settings of our choice, after we can actually see it. This is one advantage of Raw.

Two exceptions:

Nikon Raw software does read the Exif and can apply most of those settings to the new RGB image it creates. Why we would want to do that is a mystery. :) (when now we can actually see what it needs instead).

Adobe Raw software does (optionally) try to approximate camera White Balance, but only White Balance (the As Shot value). No other camera settings can apply to the raw file. The Raw software has its own Sharpness and other settings to be used, after you can actually see what it needs, and see what actually helps. The raw software has defaults always used (for Sharpness too), or you can modify defaults for individual images.

Last edited:

aroy

1. Go to SHOOTING MENU
2. Select Set Picture Control
now you will see different picture controls available. Select the one you want. I use STANDARD. Select that and all the controls are there. Set the sharpness to want you want here.

If you are shooting RAW, none of these matter and you can set what ever you want in the RAW processor.

Lalam

1. Go to SHOOTING MENU
2. Select Set Picture Control
now you will see different picture controls available. Select the one you want. I use STANDARD. Select that and all the controls are there. Set the sharpness to want you want here.

Got it. Thank you. I reduced the default sharpness to zero. Lets see the results.

aroy

Got it. Thank you. I reduced the default sharpness to zero. Lets see the results.

The results are pertinent only for jpeg and for RAW if you do nothing but convert to jpeg. Other wise you can always change the settings in PP, usually
. Colour
. Exposure
. Sharpness
. Shadows/Highlight