Hiking the Grand Canyon with a DSLR?

Kias

I'm in the planning stages of planning a hike down the Grand Canyon. (See what I did there?) :rolleyes:

My reasoning is that it is there, so it must be done. Oh, plus the fact if I don't do it soon, it won't be able to be done. I'm not getting younger.

With a planned descent of April-May 2016, I have lots of time to get my lazy butt in shape. If you're wondering why so long, there's a couple of queen size beds at the bottom in climate controlled rooms. Trying to get reservations for one are nuts!

Anyway, I'm thinking about NOT taking my DSLR. <Gasp!> I know... Crazy huh? However, as the all the signs say, 'Caution! Down is optional Up is mandatory'. I'm thinking that shedding the 5-7 pounds of camera gear would be in my best interest. I'll have my awesome point-n-shoot, don't get me wrong, but lugging a DSLR?

I see photos of people with DSLR's down there, so I know it's not impossible.

Anyone ever hike down and back lugging a DSLR with them? Thoughts?

I grew up in Michigan, learned all about the Grand Canyon in text books, movies, etc... A mile deep, 18 miles wide, no biggy, whatever, it's just a crack in the ground. Moving to California, I passed a sign that said, "Grand Canyon Next Exit" Well... I had lots of time, so off I went. When I walked up to the edge, and after I picked my jaw up off the ground, I thought, "Oh." then my next thought was, "Oh." followed shortly by a very educated, "Oh." All I could think was, "Oh." They say that those who see it for the first time find themselves at a loss for words. Oh. Those that have been there, understand, those that have not, can never understand until they've been there. Oh.

I have never, and I mean not once, ever, in my life, seen a photo of the Grand Canyon, from the rim or the inner canyon, that can even begin to show the scale of that place. The closest you can get without actually going there would be the IMAX Grand Canyon flick. Though that even pales in comparison, by a long shot, to actually being there. So, with all that said, I'm certain I'm not actually going to get a photo with my DSLR that'll be any better than the point-n-shoot.

So, I'm thinking I'll leave the DSLR in the car, and take more water instead. Ya kinda need that more than a heavy camera.

Lawrence

One of the things I would give anything to see.

Now you lazy bugger about that DSLR.

Lug it down there and take some awesome photos on the way down and while you are down there. If you feel it is too much to carry back up then discard it but hold on to the memory card so e can see the results.

Start training!

singlerosa_RIP

I'm in the planning stages of planning a hike down the Grand Canyon. (See what I did there?) :rolleyes:

NO. :culpability:

If you don't want to lug a DSLR, buy a little Leica. If you're going to walk, sorry, hike all the way down there, you'd better take some decent photos to document and celebrate the grueling ordeal. I'm with nikonpup on the mules and we're luggin' full kit. See ya down there!

Hope you have a great trip!

Last edited:

aroy

You can always get a lighter DSLR. D3300 with the kit 18-55 is one of lightest offering from Nikon, that followed by DF, but FF lenses are heavy.
. D3300 = 460g
. D7000 = 690g
. D7100 = 765g
. DF = 765g
. D750 = 840g
. D610 = 850g

Lenses

. 18-55 VR-II = 195g
. 24-120 ED VR = 710g
. 24-70 f2.8 = 900g

The D3300+18-55 (at 655g) is thus lighter than most of the better zooms themselves. Barring long shots, I find that the D3300 with its kit lense is excellent all round combination for travel shooting, and at around $600 (in US, it is $500 in India with lense, card and bag), you will not lament much if you loose or break it during your travels.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
To me, the weight wouldn't be the issue - how to safely and efficiently carry the kit would be my concern. I haven't tried them, but I think I would seriously look at the MindShift Rotation Bags. Why skimp on a once-in-a-lifetime adventure?

Kias

take the mule ride!

Just the thought of losing 20 pounds so I can meet their limit just doesn't sound fun. HA! Yes, they weigh everyone. If you're over 200lbs, you don't get to go. Also, if you're overweight and under 200lbs, you don't get to go. So if you're 4 foot 4 inches, and weigh 180 pounds, you don't get to go.

Then you're on someone elses schedule, and another set of rules you have to follow, plus it just seems like taking the mule is cheating.

Kias

To me, the weight wouldn't be the issue - how to safely and efficiently carry the kit would be my concern. I haven't tried them, but I think I would seriously look at the MindShift Rotation Bags. Why skimp on a once-in-a-lifetime adventure?

Wow! Thank you. I've never seen anything like this before. Looks like the Rotation180 pro might be a winner. Right around 30 liters of storage, I'm looking at 30 to 50. The water reservoir on the side is a little disheartening though, guess you'd have to do something about the other side to keep it balanced. I looked at some camera backpacks before, but the idea of taking off your backpack to get the camera doesn't appeal to me. I'll be half dead from hiking to begin with. Don't want to deal with that too.