Security

alchse

do you tape your camera or lenses?

anyone engrave camera's anymore

Was thinking of putting name or email address inside the memory ...maybe put in contact info cut out of a business card in case an honest person comes across it

Joseph Bautsch

Hi alchse. Anything you can do to make your equipment a little more secure helps. Nikon camera equipment is well known by the public as being quality and expensive. Unfortunately it is also a target for thieves who know they can get good money for it. The best security is to always be aware of your surroundings and keep your equipment close by where you can watch over it. When not close by keep it in a place where it can't be seen or reached easily by sticky hands. Under lock and key is best. Here in Atlanta a popular theft technique is to watch for people not paying attention to what is going on around them and grab things right out of their hands and run with it. When I'm walking around shooting, the camera strap is over the head and the camera bag strap is also over the head not just hanging on the shoulder. I also do some shooting at night in downtown Atlanta but I have security that's hard to beat. My son is an Atlanta police officer. Not only does he know all the areas of the city to get the best shots he also goes with a badge and a 9mm pistol side arm. I can concentrate on getting the shots and not have to worry about my camera bag full of equipment or having someone grab camera and tripod and run with it.

alchse

Thanks for the reply.

I wont be shooting in the same level of danger as you, but obviously keeping an eye and a hand on your gear is first and foremost

After that, does anyone mark their camera in case it happens to find its way to a honest person's hands to make it easier to get back or is that just pointless?

thanks

Joseph Bautsch

Your camera an lenses are already marked with a serial number. You can add your name to it somewhere but I would not put your address on it. If it's stolen you have told the thief who you are and where you live. Probably not a good idea.