Nikon D600 Exposure problem

dkline68

I shoot with a nikon D600 usually on an auto setting and when I take pics of people against the sky or water that part of the picture is washed out like it has bad exposure. I shoot in the shade or cloudy days when I can and with no flash. Is there a setting I set to fix this on auto or do I need to change to P, A, S or M? Any suggestions. I tried the scene setting on landscape and portrait and I got the same thing.

Fred Kingston

There are 3 light meters in that camera. Matrix, Center Weighted, and Spot... Each will give you a different reading under varying conditions. Which one are you using?

LensWork

It is called backlighting. I would think that if your experience level, as indicated in your profile, is actually "Pro", that you should recognize this situation and know how to compensate for it.

dkline68

Its a new camera and I wasn't having these problems until just recently. You don't need to be rude, if you don't want to answer the question then don't.

PapaST

Dkline68, as 480sparky mentioned, seeing examples of your problems would really help the members zero in on possible solutions for your issues. The members here are more than willing to help. If I had to take a stab I would say that just switching from auto to P, A, S or M would not correct the problem in itself. That's to say, turning a knob won't correct the issue. Like Fred mentioned you should probably first check your metering mode and go from there. Seeing the pics would also give us an idea if there is a problem with the camera or otherwise. Good luck.