So I watched this YouTube video...

Browncoat

20110417-FighterPortrait-118.jpg

EXIF:
Nikon D300s
1/250 @ f/13
ISO 200
Tamron 28-75

You can check out the other images from today's shoot in my gallery. Thanks Ranie...I decided to give that setup a whirl today (and added a 4th light).

Lighting diagram:

LightingSetup.jpg

Ranie

Anthony, nice shot.
JG has always been my inspiration (lighting) and have been using his techniques as base for my shoots.
I also like his post processing techniques. I wish I could attend one of his workshops. :(

Browncoat

Thanks for the comments, guys. :)

Ranie: I would be very interested in JG's post-processing techniques, though I was a bit disappointed to learn that in order to get a peek at them, he wants payment for how-to vids and books.

Suppose I should talk a little more about this photo shoot: The shoot took place in an MMA gym. The main purpose was to get photos to use for web graphics and fight posters, so I set up my chromakey green backdrop (so the background could easily be edited out) and did 6 poses of all the fighters. Then we set up another shoot with part of the gym as a background (shown above). There is a partial cage with only 3 sides with a boxing ring behind it. I wish that window hadn't been there, but I digress. The wall with a bunch of fight posters can also be seen behind.

I set up my Alien Bees B800s w/ softboxes a little behind my subjects with both firing directly towards each other. The lights were about 10' apart, with the light on the left at full power and the other at half. One strobe was placed on the floor @ full power, aimed upwards at the ropes on the boxing ring and cage for some highlights, and to cast some interesting shadows on the ceiling. The other strobe was directly behind camera, also at full power, utilizing a 43" shoot-thru umbrella.

Yes, the fighters are shiny. They are lubed up w/ baby oil to add that little extra zip with some highlights that are enhanced in post.

Joseph Bautsch

Great shot Anthony. Excellent pose. The only comment I have is that there is a dark area in the center of the forehead and what looks to be a dark line down the center of the face. Also to me the skin tones are a little too orange. These items are minor, the shot is very good like it is. I'll bet the guy you shot this for really liked it. Excellent job.

Last edited by a moderator:

fotojack

Excellent job, Anthony. Great lighting setup. Thanks for the diagram. This may prove to be helpful to me in the future. I still have to get 2 umbrella stands for the two 34" umbrellas a pro photographer friend gave me.