Dogwoods Blossom

Mike150

Hope all this works. I've had this new lens for a while, but still trying to get used to its quirks. I was hoping to get a few more of the veins on the petals but that just wasn't in the cards. I'm going to try again when the sun swings around fully on the flower, reducing the shadows.

Dogwood Blossom-3.jpg

Dogwood Blossom-3Exif.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Re: Doogwoods Blossom

When you have harsh shadow like this, you can sometimes just use a piece of white paper to use as a light reflector in front of the flower to fill up the shadow. Cheap and easy. I hope the flower smells as good as it looks.
Nice composition.

Joseph Bautsch

I like the shot. Good composition. I think the back lighting gives the flower more dimension. I like the lighting as it is but Marcel gives a good and easy way to fill in areas that are a little too dark. It depends on how you like it. The background needs more bokeh. (You don't give the EXIF data so I don't know how you shot it.) As it is the items in the background are a little too much in focus and makes it look a little too busy. The top flower pedal needs to be darkened just a little so that it's not so bright and has a little more detail. Also there are also a couple of bright pedals and a bright spot just off to the upper left that need to be darkened. All of this can be done in post processing. As I said it's a good shot and with a little bit of tweaking it can be improved.