ADL when shooting raw + jpeg?

Camera Fun

Been reading up on this subject but I'm getting confused. Does ADL affect the raw image I see when using View NX2? I'm currently working on shooting raw + jpeg with ADL off. However, if I would happen to use ADL, I'd like to confirm if it impacts both raw & jpeg or just the jpeg. Thanks.

Krs_2007

It doesn't impact the Raw file, its instructions so to speak that is read by nikon software. As far as I know, the nikon software is the only software that can use it. I shoot with ADL off.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Active D-Lighting effects JPEGs and is stored in an undocumented fashion in NEF / RAW files. Because it is undocumented, only Nikon's software is able to read it in raw files and will apply it in post processing. If you are using non-Nikon software and raw, the general best practice is to turn of ADL. For more info and what settings are discarded by non-Nikon software, check out this link.

nickt

The Nikon software will show you the effect when you view raw files. It will show you any camera jpg settings too even though you are working with a raw file. I've read ADL at the higher settings will adjust the exposure slightly as part of the ADL process and that will affect your raw, because its not a nikon setting, but a tweak of the actual exposure. I don't have a specific source, but google "nikon adl will adjust exposure" and you'll see lots to read about it.

edit... just to clarify, if you are NOT using Nikon software AND shooting raw, that tweak of exposure is undesirable. Something like Lighroom would show the exposure altered, but the rest of the process would not be applied. So its better to leave it off

Last edited:

aroy

If you shoot RAW, there is no need to use ADL, or for that matter any other filter - NR, WB etc. All of these can be set in the RAW processing software, especially if you use the Nikon NX-D. When you are shooting jpeg, that is another matter and all the filters are effective.

aroy

In my opinion all that ADL does is to compress the dynamic range from 12/14 bits of the sensor output to 8 bits for jpeg, so that the shadows are lifted and highlights subdued. With RAW you have the full 12/14 bits of data so there is no need for ADL.