Beginner: help with macro lense (coin pictures)

chuckyL

Hello everyone, my grandfather passed about a month ago, I received his Nikon D80 camera. I am trying to learn about this camera and its many functions. I am currently trying to sell these old coins and attempting to take pictures of them to post online. My Grandfather purchases a lens and I can't seem to find the original one. The lens says " Promaster Digital XR EDO (IF) 18-200mm 1:35-6:3 MACRO." I am trying to take close up pictures of these coins and I can't seem to get the picture to focus or take the picture whether I am in manual mode or Macro, the "tulip" setting. Can someone help me figure out how to get the settings correct to take a close up, detailed shot of these individual coins. Thanks in advance guys, I appreciate it.
Chuck

Last edited:

J-see

I'm not sure what exactly you are doing but the cam itself has no "macro" button. If the lens is the same as the other macro Tamron zooms, you might have to flip a switch on the lens itself to get it into its macro reach. After that, you just take the distance needed and focus on your coin.

WayneF

Hello everyone, my grandfather passed about a month ago, I received his Nikon D80 camera. I am trying to learn about this camera and its many functions. I am currently trying to sell these old coins and attempting to take pictures of them to post online. My Grandfather purchases a lens and I can't seem to find the original one. The lens says " Promaster Digital XR EDO (IF) 18-200mm 1:35-6:3 MACRO." I am trying to take close up pictures of these coins and I can't seem to get the picture to focus or take the picture whether I am in manual mode or Macro, the "tulip" setting. Can someone help me figure out how to get the settings correct to take a close up, detailed shot of these individual coins. Thanks in advance guys, I appreciate it.
Chuck

It is possible, even likely, that the lens will not focus up real close for actual macro work. Start off about three feet away, to check focus there. When and if that works, then move a bit closer and try again, until you find the minimum distance where it will focus.

chuckyL

Ok I have the picture in focused and where I want, the only problem now Is that I cant take the picture. the shutter wont close, it will beep once like it is in focus but wont actually take the shot. I have tried manual mode, everything. please help. why wont it snap the picture??

chuckyL

well there is a switch by the base of the lens for Auto focus and manual. I switched it to manual and now the picture takes but it shows up completely black in the display. no light at all??

Vixen

Sounds like as you are inside there is not enough available light to get a good exposure. You will need to go out into the brighter light, use a flash, or put the camera on a tripod and use a longer shutter eg 1 second

You could try the on camera flash. If it's a bit dim indoors shining a torch onto the coin might give you enough light to take a photo. As a beginner it sounds like you need to put the camera in Auto (in green on the dial) and use a desklamp or similar to light the area so the camera can auto focus. The flash will likely also go off. Macro is not easy. If you are not extremely stable in holding the camera you will get all out of focus shots. You really need a tripod for this sort of shot.

aroy

Ok I have the picture in focused and where I want, the only problem now Is that I cant take the picture. the shutter wont close, it will beep once like it is in focus but wont actually take the shot. I have tried manual mode, everything. please help. why wont it snap the picture??
There can be a lot of reasons, when in either A, S or P modes. Some them are
. The lense cannot acquire AF
. The exposure is incorrect so the camera will not fire
. You are too close to either focus or fire the flash

Do the following with lense set at maximum zoom = 200mm
. Set the camera to A mode
. Set the aperture to F8
. Pop up the inbuilt flash
. Put the coin on a table and put your camera on a tripod about 3 feet above the coin. Focus on the coin.
. Check what speed is displayed on the displayed, it should be between 60 and 150.
. Now try taking the photo.

If the photo is successful, your problems are over, else there is a communications problem between the camera and the lense.