Civil War Reenactment

Browncoat

20110415-CivilWar-20.jpg

EXIF:
Nikon D300s
ISO 200
1/2000 @ f/2.8
Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 @ 190mm

I've been waiting a looooong time to shoot one of these. Granted, this was a local reenactment group putting on some shows for 8th graders, and not a "true" reenactment, but I'll take it! This was a blast to shoot today, I got about 60 keepers. Still playing around w/ various vintage treatments in Lightroom, not sure what I'll end up doing with all of these yet. They'll all get something like this sepia tone or B&W, I'm not settled on anything for certain.

Most of these were shot @ f/2.8 to induce as much background blur as possible to remove the fairgrounds in the background. I tried to be cautious an not get telephone poles and such in my shots, and managed to avoid the parking lot and passing traffic in the majority of them.

After some Lightroom adjustments, this went into Photoshop for additional tweaks and sharpening.

Mike150

I was planning the same thing tomorrow at a re-enactment at Montpelier (Home of James Madison). Unfortunately, the weather report is for 100% chance of rain followed by more rain, and then, if we're lucky, even more rain. (rain comes out, camera stays in). LOL
I'd be curious to see how it would look if you made the edges and corners fade to white.
I have a lot of very old (100 years +) family photos and a great number of them have faded along these edges.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Real nice capture Anthony. The light and the expression makes a keeper from this shot. Can't wait to see what else you've got from this setting.

Rick M

Excellent clarity and elimination of the background. As Marcel said, the expression really makes the shot. Have you tried applying grain to a shot like this?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike150

We lived.

Pete

Glad you survived Pete. The storms just left our area. Reports of Tornado sightings about 3 miles from here but all we got was a lot of FlashBoomRumbleRumble and about 3" of rain in under 10 minutes. AT least the flowers on my Dogwood survived. Going to try and get a couple of shots tomorrow.

Carolina Photo Guy

We has a couple of tornados. One hit Sanford and the other hit a community in Raleigh. A Lowes Home Improvement store in Sanford was flattened with no fatalities but the community in Raleigh had 2 deaths. My daughter was within a few miles of the Raleigh damage. We are very thankful that she was not hurt. Our prayers go out to the families of the deceased.
Just thought y'all would like to know.

Pete

BTW: Anthony, I apologize for hijacking your thread. It will not happen again.

Joseph Bautsch

Anthony, very good job. Excellent. As you know I'm not a big fan of B&W but the sepia conversion gives it the classic civil war photo a soldier would have had taken and sent back home for friends and family. To bad it's of a yankee. (Sorry I just had to through that in, but its still a cool shot. :cool:)