Take a look

Taylor Young

thought i would share with you my attempts of a HDR image i done, i know its no amazing but i tryed.

Attachments

• HDR (3) - Copy.jpg
    HDR (3) - Copy.jpg
    475.6 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:

JoeLewisPhotography

to be perfectly honest, it is so washed out, I can't even tell what it is.

Everyone has their own interpretation of HDR. Some like subtle, and some like overkill. Either way, without the proper methods, (atleast 3 bracketed shots, good editing software etc.), it's difficult to render an HDR image of either quality. Black and white HDR in my opinion is an art in itself, and only certain scenes call for it...Unfortuneately this scene is probably not the best for HDR in general, let alone a B&W.

I encourage you to keep trying though....stick with color HDR first, and get that down, then toy with other ideas. Maybe invest in an HDR dedicated program like Photomatix (very good program) and most importantly, since I don't believe you can bracket with your camera, use a tripod, and get 3 separate shots at different exposures. Typical HDR exposures are -1, 0, +1. Programs like Photomatix do the hard work for you and merge the 3 images into 1, and allow you to fine tune it to whichever degree you want.

Joseph Bautsch

I agree with Joe. It's a little too extreme and hard to tell what it is. Your D3000 can be used to take bracket shots but you have to do it the hard way. You can use Aperture priority and use the EV button to take a -1, Normal, and a +1 shot. Or you can set the mode to M, manual, and take three shots, -1, normal, and +1. Note: Always set the mode to Aperture priority and change only the shutter speed, and in the Manual mode change only the shutter speed to get the shots. Changing the aperture setting will change the depth of field and can change the focus of each shot. That can result in an out of focus final merger. This one is a good effort. HDR is not as simple as it might look and takes practice to learn how it's done.

fotojack

I totally agree with Joe and Joseph. Looks pretty washed out. Reminds me of those old pen and ink drawings of yesteryear, though. If it wasn't so washed out and had more definition to it, it would make a nice photo. As it is, it's difficult to really make out what the subject is.