52 photos

traceyjj

I have always been in awe of those that can take, process and publish one photo everyday! A few years ago I tried it and got as far as May before I fell.
An option I started earlier this year was a 52 (one photo a week from a pre-determined list of themes) but because I have been running around like a headless chicken looking after my mum, taking her to hospital for tests/treatment etc, that too has fallen on the wayside - although I still plan on completing all the themes by the end of the year somehow.
Would there be any interest in a 52 here (starting Jan 1)? I dont mind putting together a list of 52 themes that can be taken in any order :)

aroy

I live in a metro, and seldom move out of the colony. I can think of may be a dozen themes, but 52 themes may be difficult.

traceyjj

I've seen your photos, and you would get them all :) The themes are usually vague/open themes like "new" "transport" etc so you can put your own interpretation on them, and because they arent fixed per week its generally easier to bend one of the photos you take to fit an available theme.

BackdoorArts

I think that's sort of what the folks in the Weekly Challenge are doing. Nothing is published ahead of time, so planning for a shot is impossible (I like that), but it's here for you already.

traceyjj

I do the weekly challenge whenever I can, but I still like to have a list of 52 themes on top of that challenge.

I like the idea of the weekly challenge very much, but I also like the discipline of a list to work through. At the start of the year it is easy as you have all 52 themes to explore.... but as the weeks go on you have to think a little more "outside the box" to get a good image of a subject that is left on the list.

aroy

So instead of having a surprise weekly challenge, you want a list of challenges for every week of the year well ahead of time (may be in November?). I think I can go with that.

traceyjj

Oh no, I dont want to take the weekly challenge away... too many people enjoy that :)

I will be doing 52 photos in 52 weeks from a published list as well as doing as many of the photo challenges as possible.

This idea is similar to a 365 but not as time consuming.

mikew_RIP

If i was you i would put a post on in December, outlining what you are going to do and invite others who dont want to commit to a 365 to join you

weebee

Oh no, I dont want to take the weekly challenge away... too many people enjoy that :)

I will be doing 52 photos in 52 weeks from a published list as well as doing as many of the photo challenges as possible.

This idea is similar to a 365 but not as time consuming.

You want a challenge? Come on over and be a challenge team member!!

Eyelight

I think anything that kicks the mind into gear is a good thing.

Lemme see if I am grasping the idea. You start with a 52 item list, but not necessarily in order. In other words for any given week, you can shoot a photo of any item left on the list. First week you have 52 choices. Half way thru, you down to 26 choices. Is that how it works? So, it's like a challenge in that there is a set list of topics, but like a 365 in that you are on your own topic schedule.

traceyjj

I think anything that kicks the mind into gear is a good thing.

Lemme see if I am grasping the idea. You start with a 52 item list, but not necessarily in order. In other words for any given week, you can shoot a photo of any item left on the list. First week you have 52 choices. Half way thru, you down to 26 choices. Is that how it works? So, it's like a challenge in that there is a set list of topics, but like a 365 in that you are on your own topic schedule.
Yes that is the idea behind it! As you get further into the challenge it becomes harder to do as you have used up all your good ideas earlier on :)

Eyelight

Yes that is the idea behind it! As you get further into the challenge it becomes harder to do as you have used up all your good ideas earlier on :)

I like it. Wondering if it would work for anyone to make their own 52 List and share it by December 1 or 15 maybe. Anyone who did not want to make there own 52 List could "subscribe" to a shared list that they liked.

A 52 List could be built around a larger theme, like manual shooting or flash photography or macro work or it could be random list of subjects or whatever inspires.

There could be a strict weekly version, but also a 52 in a year version that allowed some fudging of the weeks as long as 52 shots were made in the year.

I'm guessing if the idea took off, it may get it's own forum.

Just some thoughts.

traceyjj

Well I've done it before where there is one list and everyone works to that list... some have tried doing them in order, others (like me) do them when they see something that matches the theme.

I hadnt thought about people publishing their own list, and others subscribing to it... that could work too

wornish

I too am amazed how people can stick to commitment of doing a 365.

I really enjoy the weekly and monthly challenges here.
So Yes count me in for an additional set of 52 pre determined themes starting in January.

traceyjj

I like it. Wondering if it would work for anyone to make their own 52 List and share it by December 1 or 15 maybe. Anyone who did not want to make there own 52 List could "subscribe" to a shared list that they liked.
I like this idea. If its OK with the rest of you, I will try to get a generic list thought about and published by Dec 1, then members can decide if they want to use that list, or go for one of their own..

A 52 List could be built around a larger theme, like manual shooting or flash photography or macro work or it could be random list of subjects or whatever inspires.
I am not sure what you mean by built around a larger theme

There could be a strict weekly version, but also a 52 in a year version that allowed some fudging of the weeks as long as 52 shots were made in the year.
I want to try to stick to a one EVERY week... but I know from experience that it is not easy, life gets in the way of hobbies/interests. This year I am about 10 weeks behind, but I am determined to complete it somehow :)
I'm guessing if the idea took off, it may get it's own forum.

Just some thoughts.
I'd not really thought how it could be done here. In the past I had a wordpress I used, and this years is being published on a forum that has nothing to do with photography, so it would be nice to do something with people who are interested/passionate about photography.

Eyelight

I am not sure what you mean by built around a larger theme

Well, if, for instance, a person wanted to work on their use of flash, their 52 could be all related to using flashing in different ways for different subjects. I suppose a simple 52 could even be "My 52 Wonderful Flash Photographs"

dh photography

Sounds like a very doable and interesting project. Count me in on this one. Blew it on the 365, but this is much more manageable and yet would be a worthy challenge at the same time; especially toward the end.

Great idea!