Moving files between storage cards

Deleted

My laptop has an SD card reader, but not a CF reader. With space & weight restrictions for travelling, I'd like to avoid taking my bulky CF reader on vacation. Is there a way to transfer files from the camera CF card to the SD card?

traceyjj

When I went away a couple of weeks ago, I used the SD as the main card and the CF as the overflow as the only computer we took had a SD slot. I dont know whether thats suitable for the way you work, as currently I am only doing jpg until I am comfortable with the camera.

Philnz

My laptop has an SD card reader, but not a CF reader. With space & weight restrictions for travelling, I'd like to avoid taking my bulky CF reader on vacation. Is there a way to transfer files from the camera CF card to the SD card?
I don't see why not if you can plug your camera in to you computer. put in the sd card Open "My computer" or "This PC' if you have Windows 8 In the folder list open the photos that are in the CF folder Select them then click and drag them to the SD folder. Or transfer the photos from camera to computer. Put in SD card then copy them to that SD folder. just the same as if you were copying them to a flash drive That way you would still have a backup on your laptop

aroy

BackdoorArts

You can always just hook your camera directly to the laptop and read it off the CF card there. You'll already have your "bulky" camera with you. ;) Just make sure you have a short USB 3 cable to connect it (with my D800 anything over 3 feet would not find the camera unless it was a really good cable).

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Or you could buy a smaller card reader. They weight almost nothing and can save your life if ever your computer goes bezerk and you have to use someone else's computer to view your images. I never leave home without mine.

Deleted

Thank you very much everyone for the excellent replies?

Jake's reply gave me a "duh" moment! Simple, elegant & takes up very little room, I already have the USB cable that came with the camera! :D

I'll test it this afternoon.

Deleted

When I went away a couple of weeks ago, I used the SD as the main card and the CF as the overflow as the only computer we took had a SD slot. I dont know whether thats suitable for the way you work, as currently I am only doing jpg until I am comfortable with the camera.

Tracey, I was using JPG until yesterday when the forum browbeat me into trying RAW. I wish I'd used it from the start! Change to RAW right now & forget about JPG, you won't regret it. RAW file sizes are 40-50mb, which seems a lot but no big deal.

traceyjj

Tracey, I was using JPG until yesterday when the forum browbeat me into trying RAW. I wish I'd used it from the start! Change to RAW right now & forget about JPG, you won't regret it. RAW file sizes are 40-50mb, which seems a lot but no big deal.
When my life isnt as hectic (ie mum comes home from hospital and finishes her chemo treatment) I will have the time to really get involved with my hobby... until then theres very little chance/spare time for me and what I want to learn/do. JPGs are convenient for me at this time. :)

RocketCowboy

We do prefer RAW over here. You should have been informed of that when you received your membership welcome kit after your dues were paid in full. :D

(just joking)