a second body

Vincent

A while ago I found I really needed a second body. The one I wanted (the D750) did not exist yet, I had just bought a 500mm an was a bit short on cash, ... so came to a D70s.

First impressions:
- louder shutter
- less cropping
- bad screen compared to the D7000

Second impressions:
- some trouble with the buttons compared to the D7000

More pushed recently:
- AF hunts a lot more then with D7000
- could not manual focus with backlight like I could on the same scene with the D7000
- metering is gone when no feedback from the lens (D7000 on M gives metering)

But this does not tell the story: The D70s + some old lenses makes a great package, for on screen use, this is sufficient. You need more technique and knowledge + planning, but there is no issue to get great pictures. I love it, it is a fun to shoot an share.

Vincent

I actually use my D7000 as my second body. I always wanted to pick up a Dx0 just for fun.

It does depend on your style I guess. The D7000 has more capability, but lack of capability give some effects which might just be what you are looking for.
Using the so called weakness of the body you have in hand to express something different is really interesting.

P.S.: I`m saving up for a high ISO capable body, but at this moment I do not believe that will make me sell the D70s

Vincent

I found this sounded negative yesterday: "Using the so called weakness of the body"

The D70s has some advantages:
- CCD with big pixels, it can give some more correct colours at base ISO and has a look that is different from high pixel CMOS
- small file sizes
- current low investment (my dangerous area camera)
- complete CCD readout with flash, flash synchronisation to 1/8000s possible

d750 is looking AWESOME in low light right now. I'd definitely look into that.

There is only a 20 times price difference, but clearly I'm looking into the D750 as well.

JackStalk

You have to ask yourself if it is worth the money for what you will be using it for. There's no reason to go full frame unless you're getting paid gigs in my personal opinion. Then again, if you're a hobbyist and just "want" the camera then that's fine too. That's how I bought my D3.