Why does a 3 megapixel and 14 megagapixel photos look the same?

adamandbean

Hello,
I am trying to choose my next camera to buy. I am trying to choose between a d800, d610, sony a7 and em1. However, I cannot see the difference between the two photos below-one is 3 megapixels and one is 14 megapixels. I am not trying to stir or troll- I am simply trying to understand the difference between what everyone and sales staff rave about-megapixels! CIMG1826.jpgCIMG1827.jpg

Adam

mikew_RIP

Think the problem may be you are not even pushing 3mp to the limit with those posted on here,IMO how many MP you need depends on what you want to do with the resulting files.

shamitv

In this specific case, both images have originated at same base resolution (Camera : EX-Z2000). So, quality would remain same in different megapixels. If you click the same image with a camera that has different resolution, difference would be apparent.

Try clicking the same image with front and back cameras of you smartphone as well as your camera. This would make difference in quality apparent.

Regarding sales staff, they do oversell Megapixels. If two camera have the same sensor, camera with larger megapixels would not give better pictures.

Horoscope Fish

Quantity (of megapixels) does not equate to (image) quality. Period.

Number of megapixels matters most, IMO, when you decide you want the flexibility of zooming and cropping digitally, want a print larger than a 3" x 5" or want to do any serious post processing.

In short; how many MP you need depends on what you intend to do with your images. If you just want to take snapshots to post on Facebook and for making the occasional 8 x 10 to send to grandma, I can't really suggest buying a $3000 FX rig.

Last edited:

WayneF

Hello,
I am trying to choose my next camera to buy. I am trying to choose between a d800, d610, sony a7 and em1. However, I cannot see the difference between the two photos below-one is 3 megapixels and one is 14 megapixels. I am not trying to stir or troll- I am simply trying to understand the difference between what everyone and sales staff rave about-megapixels!

Adam

The images you posted here are 1024x768 pixels, which is only 0.786 megapixels (both this same size).

And the forum is showing them 600x450 pixels, or only 0.270 megapixels.

Again, you are viewing different things than what you thought you did.

Last edited:

aroy

For posting on the web, even 2MP is overkill, as at the most the HD monitor can display 2MP. Apple monitors have a higher resolution, but even then you are less than 5MP. 4K monitors will be able to display at 12MP. Till then unless you print, 5MP is over kill.

That said, you buy a DSLR camera for more than mega pixels
. Interchangeable lenses so that you can shoot as small as 2mm bug to an animal 1/2 km away
. Low noise, so that your image is just not grains in sub par light
. Ability to attach external flash (or multiple flash) for better control over light
. High speed shooting with practically no lag for sports and action. Try that with a cell phone or a P&S - you will most probably miss the shot
. And of course 36MP to 80MP gives you huge prints with tremendous details,

That is why even the older 5 and 7MP DSLR were superior as a system to the current crop of 10-16MP cell phones.