Parrots fighting

shamitv

Image taken around 9 AM. A parrot couple was snuggling, third wheel came along and started this fight.

parrot-group-4793.jpg

Tried to keep shutter speed high to capture wings in motion, it seems that 1/800 was not enough..

Does this image look sharp?

BackdoorArts

Good capture. 1/800s seems to have been enough to stop this, though you can see motion in the outer wing feathers (not a problem in my book).

As to your question, "Does this image look sharp?", I have to respond with a, "No, but it's probably not an issue with the capture". Learning to properly sharpen your RAW image is one of those things that every photographer goes through, and it's never an easy journey (and it usually starts out with the idea that "I can 'sharpen'?". First you over sharpen one way, then another, then another, until you realize that there really isn't one good way to do it and one right amount and every image requires a careful eye. I'm still figuring things out, but there are lots of tutorials out there on it - all of them mostly right, but again, everyone finds what works for them, so learn a technique and learn another.

Personally, I've come to the point where on a photo like this I want to extract details, which is usually a less extreme form of contrast enhancement. I've found tools for it, from photoshop actions to things like "Dynamic Contrast" (onOne) and "Detail Extractor" (Nik) filters, and again it's a matter of learning how not to overdo it.