Considering D5200

7golfnut

Hello,

I'm seriously considering leaving the film world and going digital. I currently have a Nikon FE, a N65, and a F100. I've tried using the Nikon supplied charts to determine if any of my current lenses will work with the 5200 but must admit I'm confused. The F100 came with a Nikkor AF 50mm 1:1.8 lens, and I also have two Tamron lenses; a 28 - 80mm AF and a 70-300mm AF. Both of the Tamron's work well with the F100; will they and the Nikkor 50mm also work with the D5200? I'm not too crazy about having to give up dodging and burning in the darkroom for Photoshop, but the wife wants the room back.

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated!

I am not sure but I don't think they will auto focus. The D200 has to have AFS lenses. the focus motor is built into the lenses. You will need to move up the the D7000 or even better the D7100 since they have the focus motor built into the camera body. These two cameras can use either type of lens.

The D7100 is a fantastic camera.

Nikon D5200 vs D7100 - Our Analysis

mikew_RIP

Think Don is right,although they may work in other ways,depending on budget and if buying new or used there are better choices of camera to go with your lenses,you need to be looking at a body with focus motor built in,the right choice now will save you money in the future.

mikew_RIP

One point to be made is the crop factor you will experience using those lenses,if over the years you have settled on lenses that give you a field of view you use then a lens change may be needed.
Your widest is 28mm, on a crop sensor this would give a field of view equal to a 42mm on your current gear,to maintain what you have some thing like an 18mm would be better giving a 27mm field of view,this of course means buying an 18-200 would cover what you have giving equivalent 27mm -300mm.

aroy

None of the older lenses have motors in them, so they will not AF on the D3xxx or the D5xxx series. You need a D7xxx at least. If you can manage, try and get a D610. If cannot budget for a new one, the D610 refurbished is quite attractively priced. You will have full width as in film and a motor in body to AF older lenses. You can also meter with the non CPU AI/AIS lenses.

Unless you need WiFi, GPS and a swivel screen I find D3300 a much better body compared to the D5300. There is no point in buying the D5200, unless you are severly budget restricted.

Deleted

Welcome to the forum!

My esteemed forum colleagues are perfectly correct about the D7100. However this is a DX camera with a smaller sensor which applies a crop factor to the lenses. If like me, you come from the 35mm world (my last camera was a Canon A1), then the constant mathematical calculations to figure out which lens does what, may be a consideration. It is one of the reasons that I jumped straight to FX (full frame), where 50mm means 50mm! :)

With the recent introduction of the D750, we should soon be seeing some good deals on the excellent D610.

7golfnut

Thanks for the info Don. Unfortunately, I'm budget constrained and the 7100 appears to cost twice as much as the 5200. Amazon has a couple of different bundles with the 5200 and two lenses for under $800. I also have a SB-24 speedlight; do you know if it will work with the 5200?

aroy

Thanks aroy. Unfortunately, I am budget constrained. I've also been doing some research on the 3300 and am surprised you'd recommend the 3300 over the 5200. It appears that the 5200 has a longer battery life, a lot more sensors, etc. This is what I found: Nikon D3300 vs D5200 - Our Analysis

Where D5200 scores is in swivel screen and GPS/WiFi. IQ wise D3300/D5300 are much better. Also consider that my D3300 battery lasts around 350 shots instead of stated 500+, but that may be due to heavy use of flash and full screen brightness. D3300 has slightly better colour gamut compared to D5300. Any way I would rarely give battery life much weightage (unless it is dismal, as in mirror less bodies), as a spare battery is not only inexpensive, but add redundancy.

Why I got D3300 is because
. It was the lightest camera with kit18-55
. It has great DR
. It shoots HD video at 60p (though I do not need video)

I still feel that if you want a rugged DX body with all the Gizmos, a D7100 is the way to go. Why - here is what D3xxx and D5xxx are missing
. In body motor. This opens up a vast selection of the older (but equally excellent) "D" lenses
. Metering with older AI/AIS lenses
. 2 card slots
. More rugged body
. Better DR

aroy

Thanks for the info Don. Unfortunately, I'm budget constrained and the 7100 appears to cost twice as much as the 5200. Amazon has a couple of different bundles with the 5200 and two lenses for under $800. I also have a SB-24 speedlight; do you know if it will work with the 5200?

1. Get the camera with only the new kit 18-55. Wait till you are familiar with the body, before you decide on second lense.

2. Yes it is compatible
https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/886/~/d-slr-and-nikon-speedlight-compatibility
Just go to the SB-24 row

adityasoman

Check out for 18-140/18-105 lenses..long reach will help and you wont feel an immediate need to upgrade

5200 is a fantastic camera..i also have one..was in a similar kinda situation (budget constraints)

Sent from my GT-I9070 using Tapatalk 2