Picture control

J-see

If it works identical as mine, it is only of use when shooting JPEG. In Raw it works identical but you can change it afterwards. I shoot RAW in neutral.

WayneF

JPG, yes. For Raw, it will depend on your Raw software. If Nikon Raw software, it can look at camera settings. If Adobe Raw software, it does not look at camera settings, with partial exception of White Balance.

Deleted

JPG, yes. For Raw, it will depend on your Raw software. If Nikon Raw software, it can look at camera settings. If Adobe Raw software, it does not look at camera settings, with partial exception of White Balance.

Thanks, I'm new to the idea of software. Did you mean which software I use in PP? As it's LR/PS, does that mean I use Adobe?

WayneF

Yes, I mean the Raw processing software. For Adobe products, yes, that is Lightroom, Photoshop, Elements. They all use the same Adobe Camera Raw module (ACR).
And they do not observe any of the camera settings - they have their own ways, like profiles for Picture Control. They can try to duplicate the one camera setting for White Balance (As Shot). But what Raw is, is Raw, no camera settings. The idea is we do it later, when we can see it, and results, and choices.

acrprofile.jpg

Whereas the Nikon Raw software (Nikon Capture xx) can apply the camera settings. Or you can choose for it to ignore them, and we do it ourself, later when we can see it.

Last edited:

WayneF

I'm not sure of your question, but to apply some settings to all future Raw image processing, then

On any image, choose whatever settings you want, and then do this.

acrsave.jpg

You can still change any setting when you see it wasn't right for the current image. For example, you could set Vivid for all, but you will tire of it very soon. :) With Raw though, you can see it before you choose to keep it.

I set a standard profile as previously shown, and I save Moderate Contrast in the Curve tool (maybe this contrast is removed for portraits).
And I set Daylight White Balance, but WB normally always has to be tweaked better. The beauty of Raw is that we can now.

All pictures are NOT the same, yet we tend to do exactly the same thing for all with JPG camera settings, set up days before probably. That's the beauty of Raw, we can see it, and we fix it, to be right.

There are vast amounts of help online for Adobe products. Just Google a few key words, product, menu, etc. Sometimes the best help is from non-Adobe people.

See Adobe on this Save: Creative Suite * Manage Camera Raw settings

Last edited:

Deleted

Thanks Wayne

By presets, I meant for the specific camera or lens. However I can't really find anything for that so I assume that I'm mistaken.

WayneF

I am unaware of any preset menus for a specific camera, except this: It already knows your camera model (Exif, and it shows model in the ACR title bar), and it has the Camera profiles I showed first, which I think are matched up. It's automatic if you choose one of the camera presets there. If you don't choose that, you get Adobe Standard, which is OK too.

And it has the Lens profile correction, which knows the lens used, and has a database, and which can correct for distortion and vignetting. I normally don't use that, except in extremes, when I can see the issues.

My notion is that Raw is not that hard. :) It does have some obscure stuff which you can ignore, certainly first day or year. The basics are very natural, white balance and exposure. Just wade in, and you'll love what you can do. You can see it, see what you have, and see what it needs, and see what your correction does, and have choices if you still want to play with it.

Maybe see the video near page top at Why shoot Raw? if it interests you.

Last edited:

Deleted

Thanks Wayne

I have just now found the presets within LR - I didn't even know that they were there! I will try some things later & I must figure out how to save the presets. I had expected to see a drop down menu for the camera & lens, but must have been confused. I may be ready now to dip my toe into RAW! :eek: