A few photos.. feedback welcome!

dfarmer03

self_bw_sig.jpg

mieko_sig.jpg

heather_contrast_sig.jpg

spring_walk.jpg

Hi everyone,
A few new images I did over the past couple days. Would love to hear some constructive comments!

Last edited:

Browncoat

Please review the Critique Forum Rules. While we don't get too excited about a couple images, it's difficult to review 4 at once. Also, in the future, please try to include your EXIF data. That said:

#1. The typical "self with camera in the mirror shot". There's really not much to say on this one, except I'm curious as to why the Nikon label on the camera strap was edited, but the Nikon on the camera itself is still backwards?

#2. This reminds me of the alien from the movie Predator.

#3. Warrants the most critiquing, as some effort was put into the composition here. Nice job on the 3/4 face shot, which is technically sound. You always want to try to turn the head so that the nose doesn't break the edge of the face, and get as much of both eyes as possible. Whether done on purpose or not, nicely done. However, don't have your subject looking off into space. It makes me wonder if there's a fly on the wall that is distracting her. This same shot, only with her looking at the camera, slightly off-camera, or even looking down would've been more dramatic.

#4. What are you trying to say with this photo? What did you find interesting about this scene? You've left me guessing.

And this isn't criticism, it's sound advice that applies to all of your photos. We often discuss the difference between a snapshot and a photograph, between Average Joe and the photographer. Your artistic eye has seen something in all 4 of the above that made you press the shutter. Don't make us try to figure out what you saw, make it obvious. You have the who, what, when, and where...but you've left out the why.

Of these, #4 is a prime example, because I see nothing here. I asked what you found interesting about the scene. I have to assume that it's the walkway, but why? Was it the pattern of the boards? Was it the symmetry of the pillars, or their shadows? If so, then focus on the walkway and forget about the other stuff. Get in close. Lay on your belly on the ground and get the shot you really want us to see.

dfarmer03

All excellent advice! Thank you!!

#1. The typical "self with camera in the mirror shot". There's really not much to say on this one, except I'm curious as to why the Nikon label on the camera strap was edited, but the Nikon on the camera itself is still backwards?
Because it was a mirror shot I edited the nikon strap as I didn't want it to be backwards. I completely missed the emblem on the camera!! I will definitely fix that tonight and any others that stand out.

#2. This reminds me of the alien from the movie Predator.
She's a silly dog :)

#3. Warrants the most critiquing, as some effort was put into the composition here. Nice job on the 3/4 face shot, which is technically sound. You always want to try to turn the head so that the nose doesn't break the edge of the face, and get as much of both eyes as possible. Whether done on purpose or not, nicely done. However, don't have your subject looking off into space. It makes me wonder if there's a fly on the wall that is distracting her. This same shot, only with her looking at the camera, slightly off-camera, or even looking down would've been more dramatic.
This was my first attempt at a portrait and I used "ghetto home lighting". All very good advice here and will certainly keep these tips in mind for next time. I had a difficult time "directing" the subject.. then again it's my wife ;) She's a good sport lol

#4. What are you trying to say with this photo? What did you find interesting about this scene? You've left me guessing.

And this isn't criticism, it's sound advice that applies to all of your photos. We often discuss the difference between a snapshot and a photograph, between Average Joe and the photographer. Your artistic eye has seen something in all 4 of the above that made you press the shutter. Don't make us try to figure out what you saw, make it obvious. You have the who, what, when, and where...but you've left out the why.

Of these, #4 is a prime example, because I see nothing here. I asked what you found interesting about the scene. I have to assume that it's the walkway, but why? Was it the pattern of the boards? Was it the symmetry of the pillars, or their shadows? If so, then focus on the walkway and forget about the other stuff. Get in close. Lay on your belly on the ground and get the shot you really want us to see.
You know.. I'm really not sure what it is I like about this shot, but I like it. Maybe it's because I live in Vermont and it's been an awful long winter and yesterday was one of the first "nice" days we had. The shot just made me happy to look at. I guess it was the colors of spring re-emerging.

Thank you so much for the feedback Anthony -- you're advice will be very helpful!

-Derrick