Another Alien Bees thread...

johnwartjr

Ordered a couple Alien Bees today, 2 Green B800s.
Also ordered 13 foot heavy duty stands and cases, no modifiers.

Sent a note to Pocket Wizard to determine whether or not I should go with the Plus II transcievers, or get the Flex TT5 and Mini TT1 radios. The latter would be about $80 more for the pair than the earlier, and it seems like it might be a little more versatile in the fact that I can potentially do more with them, including using them with speedlights without additional cables.

Looking forward to getting all the stuff in, hope to have them before the weekend!

johnwartjr

Been playing with the 'bees a bit and the Mini TT1 and Flex TT5 setup. Pretty neat. Think I'm gonna get at least 1 more Flex TT5 unit and the AC3 zone controller. Versatile for both speedlights and strobes.

Next week, we have some vacation days, and I'm gonna work on getting the home studio up to speed and in shape :)

amleduc

I've been looking at the Alien Bees (all sizes) on Ebay. It is strange to me, that they are selling for more on Ebay in used condition than new on Paul C. Buff Paul C. Buff, Inc.

It appears that the ones from Buff come with reflectors and bulbs and I don't see anything on the ones on Ebay are different. I'm wondering if I might be missing something here?

johnwartjr

eBay is not always a deal. You have to be a knowledgeable customer, regardless of where you are buying.

Last year, I wanted a B400 for a background light... didn't need another B800. Also wanted a small softbox. Started watching eBay...

Within a week of starting to watch, I managed to get 2 nice used B800 heads, one of their Vagabond IIs, and an octabox for about 300 bucks from a seller. Sold the Vagabond for $100 (needed a new battery), so I was $200 in for 2 more B800s and the Octabox.

1 new B400 is $225+shipping

With eBay, patience often pays off...