The D750 vs. the D610

BackdoorArts

Rather than post this in one of the various "Should I buy/preorder/upgrade to the D750?" threads I thought that this comparison from the folks at Photography Life deserved a thread of its own (and maybe a sticky?).

Nikon D750 vs D610

The only thing I didn't see that I'd want to see was differences in buffer size. Differences from the D610 are highlighted in the D750 column. Yes, they are very similar, but I think what you get for about 20% more is worth the difference in price when you're looking to buy one or the other. Whether or not they're worth upgrading from one to the other, that's a very specific, individual decision.

BackdoorArts

And if I may add my opinions (outside of the initial post) as to why I believe I'd much prefer the D750, I would point to these two things...

• One-click Zoom (x1000)
  • D810 focus system

Those two features alone make the D750 a more proper, professional FX camera.

What I don't like?

• Articulating screen (if it locks solidly then I'm OK)
  • No upgrade to the body material (keeping it in the "consumer" range and not Nikon Pro eligible)
  • No information on buffer size (I'm assuming it's going to be the same as the D610, which is a minus for me - give me 15-20 RAW shots)
  • No back-button AF button in addition to the AE/AF-lock (I swear one release said it would have one)

Last edited:

Rick M

I'm kinda surprised that the shutter durability is the same. If I were a pro, that would be a huge factor in what camera I purchase.

carguy

Is the D750 intended for heavy PRO use though? I view it as more a Pro-sumer level being a 700 series, price and all.

Features like the tilt screen have been more of a consumer feature. Maybe that is changing?

BackdoorArts

I'm kinda surprised that the shutter durability is the same. If I were a pro, that would be a huge factor in what camera I purchase.

Funny thing is, I mentioned shutter count to my brother in passing on a drive one day and he started laughing. "The only people who give a damn about shutter count are people who want to bitch about the price of a camera. I've got 300K clicks on my 100K shutter. It means nothing." My point being, I think it's the internet denizens like us who think about this more than the pros, and if a pro liked the features a 100K shutter count wouldn't bother him a bit.

Is the D750 intended for heavy PRO use though? I view it as more a Pro-sumer level being a 700 series, price and all.

Features like the tilt screen have been more of a consumer feature. Maybe that is changing?

Again I go back to the original rumors which painted this as a body much like the D800 with some consumer friendly features (like the tilt-screen). It also painted it at about $500 more than it ultimately came out at. Ultimately that's not what we got.

ShootRaw

I think they priced it at $2300 to capitalize on new FX customers..If it was $2700 a lot of people would choose the D610 for sure..

eal1

yes, the auto focus improvement makes me think about the 750 - but i purchased the 610 less than 6 months ago.
Could i sell it . . . along with my now little used D7000 (DX can be useful), combine the money, add some more $, and purchase the 750? Yes, and i just might.
I enjoyed using the 610 at my daughter's baby shower (grandchild due in about 5 weeks), yet i was frustrated by the auto focus system and the autofocus button/switch - which i kept hitting accidentally, throwing off the focus. My technique needs work, but the 610 isn't perfect. Do i want to spend more money on a body, or could better use for that money be found in purchasing additional lenses? That's the dilemma that technology and marketing raises over and over again.

SkvLTD

I think this is Nikon's way of moving awaaaaaay from 600 series altogether due to the whole shutter spot fiasco. Right now going by difference in price, there's absolutely no reason to get 610 over the 750. That extra stop of ISO looks mighty nice as well. And with the new AF system, this thing definitely craps on 5D3 completely and thoroughly.

Bill16

I believe the D750 is pro-consumer and I think it fits well in that notch and should do well if there are no bugs anyway! Lol :)
I agree about the shutter life expectancy being meaningless to a pro, since they'd just have it fixed or buy a new one if it did give out anyway. Tool of the trade sorta thing, and not really out of pocket like us hobbiests. Lol :)

Anyway I can see it becoming popular, and stealing away some of the current D610 owners! But I also think it will draw big from the non FX owners, pulling them into going FX!

Well that's how I see it anyway! Lol :)

BackdoorArts

I think this is Nikon's way of moving awaaaaaay from 600 series altogether due to the whole shutter spot fiasco. Right now going by difference in price, there's absolutely no reason to get 610 over the 750. That extra stop of ISO looks mighty nice as well. And with the new AF system, this thing definitely craps on 5D3 completely and thoroughly.

As I've said elsewhere, I strongly suspect the "D750" was on the drawing board as the "D610" until they needed to figure out a way out of the D600 fiasco. We're about 24 months out from the D600 release, which is about right for the next model in that series. The 750 name moves them away from the association with the 600 series, while muddying the waters over how this possibly succeeds the D700. 10 months from now, no one will care. LOL

Rick M

I think the D6xx line will have a place for a while. The D750 is not an entry level model, leaving plenty of room for the D6xx series to co-exist. With the D750, we now have 4 levels of Fx bodies which will satisfy any Fx need. We currently have 3 levels in Dx, the missing link is a pro build Dx.

SkvLTD

Honestly though, $400 difference in the 2k range is a relatively small price to pay to have better key features since the next step is much, much more expensive. Assuming FX "beginners" are looking for a long-lasting camera when they're purchasing one.

FLIGHTO

I just think they raised the price of the entry level FX body to make room for a price point where a new pro DX body will occupy. Looking at the 7D Mll today, I hope nikon anticipated those specs from the competition because if not, Nikon is in a world of trouble. I would not be surprised if there was some emergency board meeting at nikon in japan today...

Moab Man

I am truly in love with the D750. It is the love child of the best features of all my cameras. However, I won't be buying one. Many years down the road would be a D8xx, but I'm not looking to upgrade any time soon.

kamaccord

I just think they raised the price of the entry level FX body to make room for a price point where a new pro DX body will occupy. Looking at the 7D Mll today, I hope nikon anticipated those specs from the competition because if not, Nikon is in a world of trouble. I would not be surprised if there was some emergency board meeting at nikon in japan today...

I would suspect that Nikon was already aware and prepared for Canon's 7D MKII release. This would be a perfect time for Nikon to release another pro body DX camera (D300s successor). Nikon has already demonstrated the technological ability to easily trump the 7D MKII if their desire is to do so.

Rick M

I don't see a problem with a pro Dx being priced above the basic Fx (D610). For a true Dx pro body and features similar to a D4, $1800-2400 would be very reasonable and I think the market would tolerate it. Great (real) weather sealing, 10 fps, large buffer, 24 mp, no OLPF, they would sell like hotcakes.

BackdoorArts

Funny but I just posted something similar to Rick's comment in another thread. I fully expect them to release a feature rich DX pro body, and it'll be $2K or more so they don't cannibalize their prosumer FX market forcing most folks to choose one or the other. The more I ponder how much I like the D750 the more I realize I don't need one given that I have the D610. What I need is an 8-10fps DX body that will shoot for 3-5 seconds, with at least as good a sensor as the D7100, and hopefully one with better high ISO capabilities - something I fully expect given the gains made on the FX side in the 2 years since the D7100 was released.