Tamron 15mm-30mm 2.8 vc....(fx lens)

Rick M

Looks promising. I couldn't find anything on filter size, hope it's 77. I like that they are not pushing the range up to 35mm, will help with IQ (14-24 would have been ideal!). Definitely one we will have to see reviews/tests on.

ABoon

Yeah, I am keen to see how this lens performs. I am hoping it will be as good as Nikons infamous 14-24, I would expect it to be more achievable in terms of cost at least. It has a built-in hood and unfortunately it won't take a filter directly to a thread.

rocketman122

Looks promising. I couldn't find anything on filter size, hope it's 77. I like that they are not pushing the range up to 35mm, will help with IQ (14-24 would have been ideal!). Definitely one we will have to see reviews/tests on.

Fluorine coating on the front element, Tamron’s first

Due to the large diameter and the prominent convex profile of the front element, it is not practical to deploy a protective filter. For the first time, a fluorine coating is applied to the front element, which repels water or any type of dirt, while making it easier to remove such smudge when contaminated.

Here is a short list of key specifications:

• Focal length range of 15-30mm, designed for full-frame sensors
  • Maximum aperture of f/2.8 throughout the focal length range, can be stopped down to f/22, 9 diaphragm blades
  • 18 elements in 13 groups with fluorine coating, eBAND coating against reflections, and aspherical and low dispertion elements
  • No filter thread (bulbous front element, built-in hood)
  • Optical image stabilization
  • USD for fast, silent and smooth AF operation
  • Can focus as close as 0.28m
  • Weighs in at approximately 1.1 kg (2.43 lb)
  • Measures approximately 98mm (3.86″) in diameter, 145mm (5.71″) in length
  • Will be available for Canon EF, Nikon F, Sony A mounts

it wont allow to mount a standard filter. it has a bulbous front. I dont really care though.

from my intuition and the specs including the new elements/coatings(Fluorine!)this is going to be a great performer.

my guess $1000 price tag. give or take $100. I think they will undercut sigma 14-24 f/4 OS (which I looked at but pretty much meh for me) which is tagged to sell for $1200. the stellar tokina 16-28 is $650. I think theyre going to price it very aggressively against the competition which basically makes the sigma 14-24 which has just been announced, irrelevant. 1mm is not a big difference but youre gaining 6mm on the long end. and tamron is putting out some beautiful stuff lately. man am I psyched.

well see. my tamron 17-35 2.8-4 is a great performer but ive been wanting to upgrade to something a bit better. none of any offerings available today fit my needs, spec wise/price wise.

this is the one. 5mm less than I would have liked on the long end, but OS and full 2.8. if its winner, it will kill a lot of nikon sales. 16-35VR (slow aperture)/14-24(tele side not long enough for me)/17-35(old tech and overpriced)/18-35 (slow aperture)

man! love the way it looks. soo sleek. the edge where it curves up before going to the built in hood.

Last edited:

rocketman122

the bulbous front allow MFR to get much less distortion and better corner sharpness than the traditional filter mounted UWA lenses. couldnt care less for distortion correction on an UWA that distorts/warps/stretches the crap out of anyone even slightly out of center. and im all for corner sharpness so tis the con I can accept.

rocketman122

I see a trend happening here where you look into a pro photogs bag today and you notice its not only Nikon lenses inside. youll see sigma tamron or tokina as well.

where it was thought that if you want the best IQ, then only nikon would do. I had this mindset as well. today im seeing that I will have a variety of lenses from different MFR. rokinon for my fisheye (looking at the new 12mm ff fisheye), tamron 15-30 2.8 for my UWA zoom and when sigma will release their new 85 1.4 ART ill go with that and sell my 85 1.8D.

different times. but in the end we as consumers benefit.

Cowleystjames

Agree with you rocketman, I find myself using the Sigma 50mm f1.4 ART as an everyday lens on the D4s and pretty much leaving the Nikon 58mm f1.4G at home nowadays.

Rick M

It will have to be stellar to pull me away from my 18-35g, VC is attractive, but it's gotta have the IQ. Lack of filter thread is a bummer for us landscape guys.

rocketman122

It will have to be stellar to pull me away from my 18-35g, VC is attractive, but it's gotta have the IQ. Lack of filter thread is a bummer for us landscape guys.

Absolutely. it must deliver near 14-24 AFS performance for me to consider it. because im not a big UWA lens fan and my tamron 17-35 is doing it job at an acceptable level. I would like stellar level but if its just a tiny bit better, I will pass. not sure when it will be available to purchase and I have to give a little time for the QC defective lenses to be sorted out like the tokina 16-28 had an off canter focus issue that theyve worked out.

clarnibass

Will give you some muscles...:D

Yes... or at least what walking approx two hours a day, going to the gym and swimming won't do :) Not to mention my 10KG bass clarinet case I need to carry... :) Anyway carrying it is not really the problem, it's just that I don't like big and/or heavy lenses.

rocketman122

couldnt care less about weight. its not reasonable to have a lightweight pro lens. 3 things that of less concern when they deisgn pro lenses

-how big it is
-how much it weighs
-price.

things that are more of concern

-build quality
-image quality