New Nikon 20mm 1.8

Rick M

Anyone considering this? I wish it was a 16 or 18. If it is stellar, maybe I'll consider it. Can't wait to see some user reviews!

TedG954

Anyone considering this? I wish it was a 16 or 18. If it is stellar, maybe I'll consider it. Can't wait to see some user reviews!

I can't find much about it. Is it being sold currently? From what I've read, there is an 18/1.8 in the works. With what I know, which isn't much, I'll offer these two opinions. ...

1. The 20/2.8 is an excellent lens and I've used mine quite a bit. If the 1.8 is "as good", I wouldn't hesitate buying one.

2. With the price scale of Nikon lenses, an MSRP of $1050 puts this lens in a questionable category. The 85/1.8G is a terrific lens at $450 and the 24/1.4 is a stellar lens at around two grand. The 20/2.8 is excellent with a price that's a little more than the 85/1.8G. All this makes me wonder where a thousand dollar 20/1.8 fits in quality-wise.

Personally, I'll wait for no less than a few months of reviews.

Last edited:

ShootRaw

Rick.. I'm keeping my eye on the development of the Tamron 15mm-30mm 2.8 VC...this would pair great with my Nikkor 24mm-70mm 2.8g

Vincent

So I`m hooked on this one, even if it is the last thing on my dream list.

From what I saw on DXO mark:
- the 35mm f1.8 is better, but no comparable focal length
- the 24mm f1.8 is better, but too close to 28mm where I already have a prime
- the 20mm is a favourite for many, it seems a bit big though, but then my 28mm is small and portable

No urgency