D5300 durability

FrankDTank

I am leaning towards a D5300 as a first DSLR for hobby/travel. I am fairly active and like outdoor settings. How do you think it would hold up with travel? Body seems solid. Not weather sealed--is that very important?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Horoscope Fish

I am leaning towards a D5300 as a first DSLR for hobby/travel. I am fairly active and like outdoor settings. How do you think it would hold up with travel? Body seems solid. Not weather sealed--is that very important?
My girlfriend shoots with a D5300 and we do a lot of hiking in the deserts of So Cal, the beaches, a little woods bumming from time to time and so forth and she's never had any problems with her camera. Weather sealing is nice to have, but I swear her sensor stays cleaner than my D7100 sometimes (which IS weather sealed). She's not one for shooting in the rain so I can't go there from experience but Nikon cameras, generally speaking, are pretty tough little gizmos. I don't condone beating the crap out of them, but neither the GF, nor I, have the luxury of treating our camera's like Ming porcelain; they get bumped, scraped and generally rough-housed in the great out of doors on a regular basis and they do so without so much as a hiccup, performance-wise.

FrankDTank

My girlfriend shoots with a D5300 and we do a lot of hiking in the deserts of So Cal, the beaches, a little woods bumming from time to time and so forth and she's never had any problems with her camera. Weather sealing is nice to have, but I swear her sensor stays cleaner than my D7100 sometimes (which IS weather sealed). She's not one for shooting in the rain so I can't go there from experience but Nikon cameras, generally speaking, are pretty tough little gizmos. I don't condone beating the crap out of them, but neither the GF, nor I, have the luxury of treating our camera's like Ming porcelain; they get bumped, scraped and generally rough-housed in the great out of doors on a regular basis and they do so without so much as a hiccup, performance-wise.

Great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RocketCowboy

Agreed. My D5300 traveled with us from Texas to Turkey, Greece, Croatia, and Italy this summer with some pretty good temperature and climate swings along the way. I do most of my shooting outdoors, and have not had a problem with it yet.