So .. a sad D90 story with a happy ending

BillinAnchorage

A little over a month ago me and the fam flew to Maui. Of course I alway carry-on my camera gear. Upon arriving at the airport in Maui we caught the shuttle to the rental car place. At the rental office I opened the side of my camera backpack to get my reservation docs and noticed my flash was popped up. Hmm... closed it and ventured on to the condo in Kihei. Got settled and pulled my beloved D90 out and turned it on. The LCD looked like a colorful spider web with the center at the left side. I verbalized my inappropriate words for this forum and showed my wife. Her comment was "what did you do?". Typical with any problem. It still took photo's I just had no controls that require the LCD.
I found a dealer online and ordered a replacement the next day. They never shipped it and won't respond to any emails and the phone number doesn't work. Don't shop at rongdepot.com
UScamera.com sent me an LCD after I got home and I replaced it myself for about $35.00 All is well again.
Here are the photos I took in Hawaii. 99% shot at -1 exposure compensation. Either my meter is off or its just inherent with the D90.
Maui 2011 - whdrakejr's Photos

thanks for listening :)

BillinAnchorage

I carry the Nikon 16-85mm VR and a Tamron 70-300mm VC. Had the Nikon 18-200VR but I found it a little disappointingly soft at times. Also have the 35mm 1.8

Vermontster

I lived in Anchorage throughout the 70's and finished High School there. That is where my interest in photography began. I still have hundreds of old black and white negatives from my high school photography class.

Look forward to seeing some of your shots around Anchorage.

Chris Crothers

fotojack

OK, let's take this one at a time: your LCD......do you have a protector on it? It might have gotten crushed or pressed on somehow. That would explain the spider webbing you got. LCD screens don't like being pressed on or crushed in any way. The -1 exposure comp; I'd jack that up to +1 if I were you, or even leave it at 0 exp. compensation. And you were shooting in bright sunlight............that's a white balance problem right there. What kind of lens filter are you using......if any? That affects what f stop you can shoot at, even in Auto mode. Just some things you might want to look into. Let us know what you find out. Those are my thoughts. :)

BillinAnchorage

The protector is ALWAYS on the LCD screen. The only time the camera bag wasn't in my hand is when the guy from the rental car courtesy van loaded them. I think he tossed it on the racks in the van and it took a hit from the side.
As for as the light meter goes I've tried following the rules like I did with my D70 and N80 but this D90 is different. I shoot 99% aperture priority. In Hawaii a polarizer was on my lens most of the time. If I shoot at 0 compensation it blows out most of the photo. Especially on a sunny day. In the snow I have to -1.3ev. What balance is on Auto most of the time. My Maui shots I like the white balance on cloudy to warm the photos up.

This photo I shot while doing some training for work on Friday on a cloudy day, no filter, -1ev. If it was sunny I would have to compensate even more. This meter just doesn't follow the tradition rules of 18% gray. I have other complaints about the D90 over exposing.

Attachments

• 1245413533_hhkww-L.jpg
    1245413533_hhkww-L.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 353

fotojack

Ahh, ok.........well, like I said, Bill, I was just throwing it out there for ya. It was things I would have looked at were it mine. Is it still under warranty? Perhaps sending it in to Nikon to correct the EV problem? Again........just throwing it out there. Hopefully you can get these issues resolved, because the D90 is a pretty robust work horse of a camera.