What am I missing with the Nikon 24-120?

johnj167

From everything I've read the 24-120 lens is one of the poorest performing lenses Nikon has ever introduced. DXO gives it a very low rating and the so called experts don't seem to have been enamored with it either. I've never owned or used one but on here it seems to be a very popular lens. I have been thinking about getting one for awhile now so any input from y'all about your personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

Horoscope Fish

Are you sure you're comparing apples to apples? There is the current Nikon 24-120mm f/4 VR and then there is the 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6 from some years ago. The latter was, to put it bluntly, a fuzzy, blurry mess of a lens. The latest version is a significant improvement over its predecessor in every way but I think their common weakness is the degree of distortion they exhibit, even the new version.

WayneF

Right, there is the newer 24-120mm f/4 and there is the older 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6.

Both are VR, but the f/4 is pretty fine (not f/2.8 quality, but better than many), and the f/3.5, let's just say, much less so.

ssnidey

I use the 24-120 f/4 as my primary lens for everything , it is one the sharpest lenses I own, the distortion isn't that bad and easily correctable in post.

LensWork

The current 24-120mm f/4 VR is much better than the older 3.5-5.6, however in my limited use of the current model, I cannot say that I was very impressed with it.

WayneF

Nikon 24-120 f4 is a brilliant walkabout lens, no it isn't quite as sharp as the 70-200 VRII but it comes pretty close to it and is much easier to carry around all day ... like on the Gromit Trail. :D

I agree. I have a D800 and the three f/2.8 lenses, which I use around here, but the ONE I carry on vacation trips is the 24-120 f/4. It is a fine lens.

nzswift

There are three versions of this lens. The original D, the f3.5-5.6VR and the current f4 version. I speak in defence of the original. As an all purpose walk around lens it performs OK to me.
Here is a photo taken with it.....

Bumble.jpg

John P

I have the 24-120 3.5-5.6 VR
Mine is tack sharp. It does get very poor reviews. But my local camera shop has told me that that is very individual to each lens. Glad I got lucky with mine.

jay_dean

Got to say i love my 24-120 f/4. I could have easily have bought the 24-70 f/2.8 instead, but the extra reach and VR was the deciding factor as i use it as a general walkabout lens, they just give it more versatility and the IQ is fantastic

allen.riley.12

I for the life of me don't understand Nikon users. Canon shooters use the 24-105 without reservation, and you see pictures it was used on all over magazines and books. The 24-120 is as sharp if not sharper than that lens and Nikon shooters mainly classify it as a "walk around lens" ???