Sony Coming Out With A 50 MP Camera Next Year!

sonicbuffalo_RIP

And seeing that Sony will release 50 Megapixel FF cameras in early 2015 this may be one of the few lenses that can get the most out of the new sensor.

That should make things interesting. Now, the problem will be as it was (storage space and lenses that work)

sonicbuffalo_RIP

SR5) Sony is preparing a BIG event in January! They will release a complete new generation of cameras with a new generation sensor. Cameras have those two features:
1) Very high resolution and dynamic range. One of them is a 46 megapixel FF sensor.
2) Very fast AF speed

Oh Well, still sounds pretty cool though eh? I really don't need that many mega-pixels, but clearly Sony is going after the medium format users with a much more affordable full frame solution. The Zeiss Otus lens would be required for that crazy resolution and zero distortion capabilities. Still much cheaper than the medium format equivalents! Sony just trying to take over the market, but in a very intelligent way, via the full frame e-mount cameras!!

Check out what Sony is doing for Hasslebluad HX5 for example, which has a 50mp Sony sensor!!

aroy

It was inevitable. To get the density of 24MP DX sensor, the FX sensor will need to be about 56MP, so 50MP is not bad.

Anyway Sony has the only CMOS censor for MF cameras, and it is used by Phase-I, Hasselblad and Pentax.

Blacktop

It was inevitable. To get the density of 24MP DX sensor, the FX sensor will need to be about 56MP, so 50MP is not bad.

Anyway Sony has the only CMOS censor for MF cameras, and it is used by Phase-I, Hasselblad and Pentax.

Somewhat confused.
For an FX to have the same pixle density as a DX 24 MP, wouldn' t it be 36MP? 1.5X?

480sparky

Somewhat confused.
For an FX to have the same pixle density as a DX 24 MP, wouldn' t it be 36MP? 1.5X?

1.5x is the crop factor for FOV.

FX sensors are, mathematically, 2x larger than DX sensors. DX: 18x24mm = 432mm². FX: 24x36mm = 864mm². 864/432=2

Last edited:

aroy

Somewhat confused.
For an FX to have the same pixlel density as a DX 24 MP, wouldn't it be 36MP? 1.5X?
The DX sensor of 24MP is 6000x4000 pixels, with a pixel density of 250 microns, so a 24mm x 36mm sensor would be
24mm = 6000 pixels
36mm = 9000 pixels
so the total number = 6000x9000 = 54MP

SkvLTD

Well, Nikon's been using Sony sensors as is, so maybe some incarnation of the FX line will see this sooner than later. All I'll say is, as long as Sony doesn't go mirrorless with this idea...