Lenses lenses lenses

adox66

So I've had my D7100 a few months and loving it so far. I upgraded from the D3200, which I sold with the kit lens. That's left me with the following lenses:

Sigma 10-20mm
Nikkor 35mm
Nikkor 70-300mm

Now my medium term plan is to upgrade the 70-300 to a 70-200 2.8(third party most likely due to finances) and add in a mid range zoom.

Now the mid range zoom is more of a pressing issue for me. I shoot a lot of landscapes and while I really enjoy the Sigma, and the extra wide field of view can be great for landscapes, more and more I am finding that it's just too wide for what I want. I really need a mid range zoom which I'm sure I will use as much, if not more than the Sigma.

So my choices I think, are third party, due to finances. Also I need to consider if I want to buy dedicated DX glass, which will be a lot cheaper, or FX glass, while more expensive would future proof if going full frame.

Now I have no immediate or even medium term plans to go full frame. I'm enjoying the DX format, still getting to know my camera and indeed still only scratching the surface of what I can learn in photography.

The lenses I am giving serious consideration are: Sigma 17-50 2.8(dx) and Tamron 24-70(fx). Both sit perfectly in the range I'm looking for, more or less. The Tamron would be nearly a multiple of three on the cost of the Sigma which is a huge difference. It would future proof me if I did decide to go the FX root though.

I know now it's up to me at the end of the day but I'd love to hear some feedback here from those more knowledgeable and indeed opinions on either of the lenses if familiar with them. Any others that I should give serious consideration to?

Also I'd be really interested to hear what lens set ups others have using the dx format.

Thanks in advance.

alfaholic

Banned
I would recommend Sigma 17-50 f2.8, it is very good lens, not just for the money. I had 18-105, but this lens is just something different. It is heavier than 18-105, but it feels much better in the hand, and it is very sharp even wide open.
AF is good and quiet, AF ring rotates while focusing, zoom ring rotates in the opposite direction than Nikkor lenses, after day or two I learned how to hold it, and how to zoom, that is not a problem.
It is relatively wide, and 50mm at f2.8 can be useful as well, so as an all-rounder it is a very good lens. I do not own Nikkor 24-70 f2.8 which is a benchmark, but for DX camera and for this price I think it is very good lens.
I also have 35mm f1.8 which is also very good by my standards, very sharp and must have for any DX body, the only problem with this lens is tungsten light AF, which can be tricky sometimes.

Last edited:

Rick M

If you are primarily shooting landscapes, you can't beat the 16-85. If you want more out of focus elements for people shots, I'd get a 2.8. I have the 24-70 2.8 Tamron VC and it is excellent, that with the Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC would make an excellent pair if you do go Fx someday. If you can deal with a slightly shorter range, the new Sigma 18-35 1.8 Art series looks very interesting and has had excellent reviews. Lots to consider :), good luck!

Philnz

I would recommend Sigma 17-50 f2.8, it is very good lens, not just for the money. I had 18-105, but this lens is just something different. It is heavier than 18-105, but it feels much better in the hand, and it is very sharp even wide open.
AF is good and quiet, AF ring rotates while focusing, zoom ring rotates in the opposite direction than Nikkor lenses, after day or two I learned how to hold it, and how to zoom, that is not a problem.
It is relatively wide, and 50mm at f2.8 can be useful as well, so as an all-rounder it is a very good lens. I do not own Nikkor 24-70 f2.8 which is a benchmark, but for DX camera and for this price I think it is very good lens.
I also have 35mm f1.8 which is also very good by my standards, very sharp and must have for any DX body, the only problem with this lens is tungsten light AF, which can be tricky sometimes.
Would you be talking about the Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 EX DC OS HSM ? I have been looking at that lens as well.

Last edited:

Felisek

Yes, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 is a great lens. I love my combination of D7100 and the Sigma. It is very sharp, fast, with great image stabilisation and costs only about a third of its Nikon counterpart (17-55 f/2.8).

aroy

For landscapes with D7100, you can try out the older AIS lense - 28mm F2.8, 20mm or even 15mm. As most landscapes are shot at high F stops, slower lenses are as good, and if their sharpness is good across the field even better. Look for lenses with zero or low CA, as that will facilitate shooting at high F numbers - F16 or more.

adox66

For landscapes with D7100, you can try out the older AIS lense - 28mm F2.8, 20mm or even 15mm. As most landscapes are shot at high F stops, slower lenses are as good, and if their sharpness is good across the field even better. Look for lenses with zero or low CA, as that will facilitate shooting at high F numbers - F16 or more.

Sorry should have clarified, this will be a general lens also, not exclusively for landscapes. I have a big gap in my range and want a decent walk around lens that can also be used for landscapes.

Englischdude

be careful with sigma lenses with your 7100. i recently tried the new 18-200 contemporarary line from sigma which had compatibility issues with my 7100. the stabilizer would stay on for a minute after pressing the shutter button and it was not possible to hold and scroll/zoom when previewing photos without repeated presses of the buttons.

adox66

Have a zoom for general shooting. Invest in a sharp manual focus lense for landscapes.

I already have a lens for landscapes and am looking to fill a gap in my current range that can be used for both landscapes and a general walk around lens.

adox66

be careful with sigma lenses with your 7100. i recently tried the new 18-200 contemporarary line from sigma which had compatibility issues with my 7100. the stabilizer would stay on for a minute after pressing the shutter button and it was not possible to hold and scroll/zoom when previewing photos without repeated presses of the buttons.

Thats good to know. I see a couple of posters on here have said they are using the Sigma with a D7100 so that one looks ok but certainly worth investigating more.

Horoscope Fish

Thats good to know. I see a couple of posters on here have said they are using the Sigma with a D7100 so that one looks ok but certainly worth investigating more.
I have two Sigma lenses, the 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM and the Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM APO; both are nothing short of outstanding.

I'd give up most of my current Nikon glass if it meant I could keep these two lenses.