Focus point

Skwaz

Hi some help needed
On some pictures when viewed in nx with focus point highlighted some pictures
don't have the red sqauare that highlights the focus point and some are a bit off focus but not all
Does this mean the camera had not focused although the green dot in viewfinder wuss on and button fired
I am not in shoot priority or any other possibilities that would allow an exposure without focus
Or is this something that just happens

Skwaz

Hi rocket
I just changed it in menus to focus with AF-L AE-L button.
The shutter button should now be metering and fire only .

Eyelight

Using the back button to focus disables the focus priority shooting feature.

Edited to add: So, the symptoms sound like the focus is not achieved in some images where you see no red square in post viewing. The out of focus images with red squares woudl indicate the AF had trouble focusing on the scene. Were these low contrast by chance?

Last edited:

Skwaz

Yeh suppose they were
Was just a bird feeder with grass in the background
Just testing how far I can go handheld , and also to see IQ of high ISO
can't blame blurred ones on Shake they were middle of the road well within handhold range
pretty sure but not certain that the in focus dot was visible , but I will try again with that as my concentration
didn't realise focus priority was disabled with back button
Great site learn every day
Thanx

RocketCowboy

it is a pretty involved process. There are a number of youtube videos on how to do it.

Thanks Don. I was making sure I wasn't confusing this to back button focusing. Setting back focus is picking a focal length, and then calibrating the actual focus to the focus point ... where sometimes it's either in front (front focus) or behind (back focus) the intended focus point, correct?

Thanks Don. I was making sure I wasn't confusing this to back button focusing. Setting back focus is picking a focal length, and then calibrating the actual focus to the focus point ... where sometimes it's either in front (front focus) or behind (back focus) the intended focus point, correct?

Correct. It can make a big difference when set correctly.