SD card

LemmingWales

Please read it again - Sandisk Extreme Pro

There are only 2 versions of this card - UHS-1 and UHS-2.

Being that this is a UHS-1 compatible camera its clearly the 95MB/s UHS-1 card.

If you follow the link you will also see it clearly shown as the 95MB/s card at the top of the chart.

480sparky

Please read it again - Sandisk Extreme Pro

There are only 2 versions of this card - UHS-1 and UHS-2.

Being that this is a UHS-1 compatible camera its clearly the 95MB/s UHS-1 card.

If you follow the link you will also see it clearly shown as the 95MB/s card at the top of the chart.

Sandisk has made Extreme Pro cards in 45, 80, 95 and now 280MbS. Wouldn't surprise me if there's other speeds.

LemmingWales

Sandisk has made Extreme Pro cards in 45, 80, 95 and now 280MbS. Wouldn't surprise me if there's other speeds.
So not dozens then, and a quick check of the link I provided shows exactly which card.

Only the 95 & 280 are in current production for the range and only one of those is UHS-1 (supported by the D5300)...

480sparky

So not dozens then, and a quick check of the link I provided shows exactly which card.

Only the 95 & 280 are in current production for the range and only one of those is UHS-1 (supported by the D5300)...

That does not prevent older cards from still being sold on the market. So it ain't' two either.

LemmingWales

That does not prevent older cards from still being sold on the market. So it ain't' two either.
Again - all info was provided but you chose to post in that condescending tone before actually reading and checking the link provided.

Two (the number in current production) is still closer to the variants produced than a dozen (your chosen retort) if you wish to continue being pedantic.

I am however done with this as I have tried to answer his question, clarify your query as to my exact meaning and do not wish to allow further thread derailment.

LemmingWales

Personally I wouldn't buy from eBay as there is no guarantee its genuine. That is the card I chose to use (and the one tested).

I found Amazon (for me in the UK) had the best price per GB on the 32GB card rather than the 16GB one.

Personal choice really as I used to insist on running 2 smaller cards so I'd only lose some if a card went down. The down side is losing a card!

LemmingWales

SanDisk SDSDXPA-016G-X46 16 GB Extreme Pro UHS-I SDHC Memory Card: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

I dont know why i went to ebay as i too would never buy certain items from it as the place is full of bad copies.
Yep - that's the one that seemed best to me. Always down to budget but my logic was why spend 100's on a camera and get a slow card

Wish I could locate the maximum burst tests with various cards as it really showed the difference especially with RAW/NEF.

ps Sorry the thread went off topic - I should have risen above it at an earlier stage.

RocketCowboy

I started off with the 64GB versions of the SanDisk Extreme Pro (95Mbps), but have recently picked up a few 32GB versions of the same card. Even when I'm writing RAW + JPG Fine, 64GB was *more* than enough. I'm pretty sure even 32GB will be too large, but I'll run with this for awhile and see. BestBuy has the 16GB and 32GB Extreme Pros for the same price, so I couldn't justify dropping all the way to 16GB just yet.

hrvojexyz

Just dont buy Kingston - 16gb class10 doesnt work well with d5300.
Issue is : after taking picture, if you want to instantly view and and/or take a look at previous pictures, camera says that card is corrupted, something like that.
Taking it out and putting in the slot again helps, but ..

I was using Verbatin 8gb, class 4 or 6 I thing - works flawless.

yauman

Which SD card will work best with this camera? How long will an SD card last?

Ok, let me give you the real dope about these cards - first: full disclosure - I work in a camera store and I would love to sell you the highest speed top name-brand SD cards and make a hefty commission on the sale (the mark up on the Sony SD Ultraspeed cards is 90% - got it!)

1. If you are shooting videos or continuous burst mode, yes, you need the highest speed cards - otherwise, if you shot only single shots, any speed will do. I shoot with Class 6 to Class 10 Promaster cards on my D7100 (and rented D800 for events) all the time as I don't do videos and I don't do continuous burst. Promaster is our house brand and I get them practically for free!

2. SD cards DO NOT wear out - they will last FOREVER - But you MUST format them regularly. SD (and CF) cards are NOT archive media - they are not meant to retain your images for forever - so as soon as you get a chance, unload your images to your computer or the Cloud when you have unloaded the images format your card and use them again, and again and again - formatting each time you got all your photos out of it. They like to be formated and you must format them regularly for them to be reliable

3. Always ALWAYS format the cards on the camera you are using it in - DO NOT format in a computer or another camera. What formatting does it rebuilds the index and directory tracks - and it's the index and directory information that lets the camera know where the next blank space is available to write new images on and let card readers know where to retrieve the images. When the index or directory track is corrupted aka screwed up , you will get a read or write error. We have customers coming in the shop crying because they have lost images - only to find out that they have never formatted the card ever since they got the camera 5 years ago and have 2000+ pictures in it (didn't know how or that they are suppose to take the images off!) We charge $50 for image recovery - takes a couple hours but usually we can recover 99% of the pictures.

So, there you have it - hope this helps!