Print size?

Bill16

What is the largest print you've tried to have made using a D300 photo? I'm very curious! Right now I have two 10×15 inch photos being printed up. But I've wondered if anyone has tried to go larger, and if so, how'd they turn out?

Bill16

I have learned to save cropping of my photo that hasn't already been cropped, by X being 2/3s of Y! :)
So if Y=30 then X=20, or as I'm doing now x=10" and Y=15"! :)

RocketCowboy

We learned that the hard way too. We have some engagement photos that weren't cropped to ratio, so when printed they got "stretched" to fit the paper. Interesting effect to the camera perspective. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill16

I haven't had any stretched out of shape, but I did get one cropped. So now I would prefer to avoid that when possible. Lol I still have a ton to learn on this getting photos printed! Lol :)

We learned that the hard way too. We have some engagement photos that weren't cropped to ratio, so when printed they got "stretched" to fit the paper. Interesting effect to the camera perspective. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smoke

I have printed many 20x30's from Walgreens and they all have turned out great. When I crop I drag outwards from one of the corners so that it equally maximizes or minimizes to equal proportions. The prints that are landscaped, you have to pick a size that follows the rule you described above.

Bill16

Thanks buddy! I wasn't sure the D300 photos would print that big, but I was wanting to get a large print sometime if it was possible! :D

Yeah, I do like Smoke. I drag out to 20x30 for printing, although I prefer 11x14. Both turn out excellent.

aroy

I think that D300 is 4,288 x 2,848, so the prints at various densities will be approximately

. 300 DPI - 14.29 x 9.49 inches
. 250 DPI - 17.17 x 11.39 inches
. 200 DPI - 21.44 x 14.24 inches
. 150 DPI - 28.59 x 18.99 inches

So you have a lot of sizes to choose from. 300DPI will give the smoothest image, while 150DPI is fine if viewed from a couple of feet away.

Bill16

Thank you buddy! That's helps give me an idea of what to expect! :D

I think that D300 is 4,288 x 2,848, so the prints at various densities will be approximately

. 300 DPI - 14.29 x 9.49 inches
. 250 DPI - 17.17 x 11.39 inches
. 200 DPI - 21.44 x 14.24 inches
. 150 DPI - 28.59 x 18.99 inches

So you have a lot of sizes to choose from. 300DPI will give the smoothest image, while 150DPI is fine if viewed from a couple of feet away.

Smoke

Also, create an account for Walgreens online and watch for weekly discount promo codes. They always are offering them (40% off everything photo, 70% off posters.....etc.)This way you can experiment with a 20x30 for probably 10 bucks. Just make sure you enter the promo code when you are checking out.