Using your old manual lenses?

Curt

Anyone with a D7000 using your old manual lenses? I have a few old lenses that work fantastic on my D7000, just switch it over to the manual setting, mount your old manual lens and away you go. You do have to focus, set all the other settings on the camera, but if you want to really learn how to use a camera, this setting is great! Right now I am using an old Nikkor f1.4 50MM lens, I switch it over to manual and I can read all the settings in the viewfinder.
Another great feature of the D7000 :).

jcottone45

Hi Curt, I couldn't agree more with you. I have a few old manual focus lenses that I use(d) on occasion on my D300s with excellent results.
I don't know if others agree with that or not, but the old lenses are still quite effective in my mind. I have 3 older Nikkor lenses 2 older nikon series E lenses, along with 5 other non nikon lenses that also work well on the D300s. I hope to be using them all in the coming months.
Again I agree with your statement.!!!

Curt

Yeah, the old lenses work great on the D7000, I think we all get so used to using aperture priority, or shutter priority, etc. Going full manual takes you back to your roots…lol.
I guess I just get a bit lazy and find it easier to auto focus and rely on auto settings to do the job, not that there is anything wrong with that. But it is nice to once and awhile flip it over to manual, like driving a standard…lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

happlegate11

That is all I use on my D70s...and am vary happy to have read this now that I have my D7000! I have the same Nikkor 1.4 50mm lens that I use for a majority of my photography. Having only every used a manual lens I think it helped me! I have never shot in any other mode than manual so I have never been able to rely on the camera setting everything and doing the work only me. I think everyone should use a manual lens for some photography..It teaches you so much!!

Curt

I agree, using manual settings really makes you think, I like to use my manual lens on my D7000; they work great.
But its not for the faint of heart...lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

alchse

Yeah, the old lenses work great on the D7000, I think we all get so used to using aperture priority, or shutter priority, etc. Going full manual takes you back to your roots…lol.
I guess I just get a bit lazy and find it easier to auto focus and rely on auto settings to do the job, not that there is anything wrong with that. But it is nice to once and awhile flip it over to manual, like driving a standard…lol.

FYI...you can still use Aperture priority mode with manual lenses on the D7000

jspytek

I'm searching for a 200mm f/2.8 for my D7000 - obviously the newer pimped out lenses would be great, but at $1,500-$3,000 for a 200 or 300mm I'm willing to look at alternative options.

I've seen several older models and your thread caught my attention. Being new to the photography world can you give me any suggestions or thoughts on using an older lens to take sports photography (kids soccer in/out door - volleyball indoor)

Many thanks,
John