Nikon 24 mm f1.4G ..... Wide Angle Prime

TedG954

My new lens arrived this afternoon. I wouldn't have known it was used. It is in perfect condition.

I took some outdoors test photos after 8pm. It was dark enough to activate our light sensors for all the building lights.

It wasn't pitch black, but dark enough that I wouldn't normally take photos.

Results? The f1.4 made it look like noon. Really. If the lamp posts weren't lit, you'd think it was daylight. (I'll post those shots tomorrow. )

So, has buyers' remorse set in? Do I wish I hadn't spent that much money on a single lens? Nope. None whatsoever. As a matter of fact, the way I look at it, I saved 6 to 8 hundred dollars by finding a great deal. I've been working for MLB this summer and you know what they say.... You can't take it with you.

This lens definitely has a place in my bag and I'll use it

TedG954

Come on, give us some pics Ted.... Congrats, do you mean Major League Baseball when you say MLB?

I really can't post until tomorrow. No access. Trust me, they're not exciting to anyone but me..... they're just test shots.

Yes, Major League Baseball. I work with the drug testing program.

Krs_2007

I really can't post until tomorrow. No access. Trust me, they're not exciting to anyone but me..... they're just test shots.

Yes, Major League Baseball. I work with the drug testing program.

are you a tester? Kidding.

I am am sure you won't let us down with your pictures. I was looking at the lens the other day, wanting to do some low light stadium shots. Just not a high priority at the moment.

TedG954

Wow, bet that gets interesting.

It's extremely interesting. I'm a huge baseball fan (I have Chief Wahoo tattooed on my chest) and hanging out with various teams in the locker rooms and dugouts is pretty cool. One big downside.... I can't talk about anything.

TedG954

This is certainly a great lens. All shot hand-held in available light @ f1.4.

2014-09-061.jpg

TedG954

That looks good, but would like to see individual pics when you get a chance.

I'm still learning how to control the 1.4 depth of field. I need to improve my technique. But the available-light capabilities is excellent. Despite the spot light on Garfield, the room is quite dark. These were hand-held shots at 1.4.

DSC_5351_00007.jpg

DSC_5371_00026.jpg

DSC_5383_00032.jpg

DSC_5358_00014.jpg

Krs_2007

Looks great Ted. Really been thinking about a lens like this, just need to take care of a few things first. I have this one on my short list and appreciate the pictures.

Krs_2007

Oh and if you ever get something wide like a stadium shot, I would really like to see it. I think 24 would work for what I want, its just that my 24-85 is not low light enough for me. I know I can tweak things but I have this vision in mind and would prefer to have a faster lens.

TedG954

Looks great Ted. Really been thinking about a lens like this, just need to take care of a few things first. I have this one on my short list and appreciate the pictures.

Thanks. I made more than a few mistakes in this last outing. It's an ADD thing. Post-outing research revealed tips that I should have used...... next time!

This is a wide angle shot taken in the evening. You can tell it was getting dark by the lamps being lit up. I doubt that I'll take this lens to the Jake. That's what my D3300/12-24 is for.

DSC_5338_00003.jpg

Last edited:

TedG954

Went out for another try. I visited some interiors where I've had difficulties in the past. All the interior shots, and most exteriors, were shot at the max 1.4 stop.

The Old Stone Church.....

Old Stone Church 2_2193.jpg

Old Stone Church 7_2198.jpg

Old Stone Church 9_2200.jpg

Old Stone Church 10_2201.jpg

Old Stone Church 11_2202.jpg