Card in slot 2

lexman59

I shoot in raw only as a rule but set card in slot 2 to receive JPEG just in case I decide to shoot some. I thought card 1 would only receive raw and card 2 JPEG, but when I shoot raw only it pops a raw image on both cards just as it would if slot 2 was set for back up. Slot 2 overflow works ok, slot 2 back up works ok but slot 2 JPEG ends up with raw files in there and info display shows raw for both memory cards. I want card in slot 2 to stay empty ready to receive JPEG if I were to shoot any. Confused:confused:

FastGlass

So you want slot two to receive Jpegs but only when you choose to shoot jpegs? Not sure if you can set it up that way. Pretty sure you have to send Raw to one and jpeg to two at the same time if wanting jpegs to go to two slot.

Horoscope Fish

I shoot in raw only as a rule but set card in slot 2 to receive JPEG just in case I decide to shoot some. I thought card 1 would only receive raw and card 2 JPEG, but when I shoot raw only it pops a raw image on both cards just as it would if slot 2 was set for back up. Slot 2 overflow works ok, slot 2 back up works ok but slot 2 JPEG ends up with raw files in there and info display shows raw for both memory cards. I want card in slot 2 to stay empty ready to receive JPEG if I were to shoot any.
No can do.

If you put a memory card in Slot 2 you have to assign it one of the predesignated roles: Overflow or Backup when shooting RAW only or JPG only; or for JPG storage when shooing RAW + JPG. Those are the only available options.

Philnz

No can do.

If you put a memory card in Slot 2 you have to assign it one of the predesignated roles: Overflow or Backup when shooting RAW only or JPG only; or for JPG storage when shooing RAW + JPG. Those are the only available options.

That's the way it is.:smiley_simmons:

Patrick M

If you set card 2 as back up it should save two sets of JPEG.
Interestingly, mine saves photos to card 1 and videos to card 2

Patrick M

P69 of my user manual :
Using Two Memory Cards
When two memory cards are inserted in the camera, you can use the Role played by card in Slot 2 item in the shooting menu to choose the role played by the card in Slot 2. Choose from Overflow (the card in Slot 2 is used only when the card in Slot 1 is full), Backup (each picture is recorded twice, once to the card in Slot 1 and again to the card in Slot 2), and RAW Slot 1—JPEG Slot 2 (as for Backup, except that the NEF/ RAW copies of photos recorded at settings of NEF/RAW + JPEG are recorded only to the card in Slot 1 and the JPEG copies only to the card in Slot 2).

shadow3829

One really cool thing that I found by accident, is that if you have it set up with RAW to slot 1 and JPG to slot 2 and change picture control like to BW. You have the orginal/normal RAW and the JPG is BW. Kind of the best of both worlds.

RocketCowboy

One really cool thing that I found by accident, is that if you have it set up with RAW to slot 1 and JPG to slot 2 and change picture control like to BW. You have the orginal/normal RAW and the JPG is BW. Kind of the best of both worlds.

I'm pretty sure RAW will always be color, effectively with no picture control adjustments in effect. The JPEG is processed by the camera and would have effects/Picture Control/etc applied.