Converting Old Photographs to Digital

Revet

I have many old photos I need to get into Lightroom. It seems to me that photographing them would be much faster than scanning. Has anyone seen or developed a nice technique to do this fast with good results?

Since I have many photos to do, I do not mind putting some work into a proper set-up for accomplishing this. I have a Tamron macro lens, a Tamron 18-270 zoom lens, an SB-700 with an sc-29 remote cord, a tripod, and a polarizing filter (if needed to reduce glare). Also have some umbrella's with stands if needed. Body is a Nikon 3100 but may have a 7100 by the time I do this.

A description or website showing how to do this would be great. I have searched the web but would like opinions about techniques fellow Nikonites have used.

Thanks for any help

BackdoorArts

I've photographed slides and negatives with success, but I find that the hassle involved in getting a print to photography well is actually more of a hassle than scanning. The main issue is that you want it flat and you want to remove/eliminate reflections. Glass gets you flat, but the reflectivity is a problem unless you light it properly, and even then it could be a huge issue. You're gonna need a bright, indirect and diffused source.

That said, if you can get that to work then you can shoot them RAW and have a much higher degree of flexibility in color correcting.

I haven't done it, probably won't, but those are the concerns you should have if you do it.

mikew_RIP

Back in the film days we had a contract with the library to copy local historic images if some one wanted to buy a copy,we used diffused day light with great success,plus i have a large collection of historic pictures :D

Horoscope Fish

If you're going to take the photographing-the-photos route, I'd suggest you hit a local framing shop for a piece of non-reflective glass.

It won't be cheap but it will probably save your sanity.

traceyjj

I tried, gave up and ended up scanning 100s of old photos for my mum. I ended up scanning on a high resolution, with 2 photos per scan and the scanner seperated the photos... to be honest, they looked as good as the origiinal photos... lots less stress too.

I tried glass, I tried photo mounts, and other things I cannot remember anymore.

Good luck with it :)

aroy

If you are going to digitize photographs, then your least cost options is to get a 3-in-one inkjet printer. I have one and if done properly, scanning is excellent. Just ensure that there is no dust either on the scanner glass or the photo. At times I have found that washing the old photos and hanging them to dry, cleans up the surface perfectly.

Krs_2007

Check out local stores. I know mine will do 500 pictures for 125.00, which to me is not bad when you consider the time it will take a consumer level scanner to scan the same amount of pictures. I know if you are like me then you have thousands of pictures, so its not something I am going to tackle anytime soon.

Report back on what you did because I would be interested in it.

Editing because I remember @480sparky doing something like this recently, maybe he will chime in on his experience. Although I have been known to make things up so dont hold it against me if I am wrong about the user.

Last edited:

yauman

For lighting, one bright light source like the SB700 won't do. If you must, use a ring light. But most copy work of this kind are done with a copy stand and 2 lights like this. A very thin non-reflective glass will keep the photo flat if necessary. The light bulbs to use are 300-500watt 5500K fluorescent bulbs meant for studio work. If the photo is too fragile to take it out of the frame, we have success leaving it in the frame and photographing it with this setup as long as we remember to use a linear polarizer on the camera. (Modern CPL's wont' do as a good job as they are not as effective.)

A super-zoom like the Tamron 18-270 won't do - too much edge distortion. (Also when hung upside down, there's always "zoom creep!") We use the Tamron 60mm macro for most "normal" size prints and go to 50mm or even 35 mm for large ones.

If you are a Lightroom users, shoot tether and with a remote shutter release.

FYI, this method of copying old photos do not produce as good results as high resolution scanning. This method is preferable to scanning if you have the following situations:
1. All your photos are the same sizes - 3x5 or 4x6 etc than it's easy to setup for just one and then snap away. Much faster than scanning. But if your photos are all different sizes, you'll need to adjust camera and lights every time the size changes. You will be surprise with old photos - not all 3x5 are actually 3x5 - you'll find that if you stack up a handful of 3x5's from years past and snap away, you'll be cropping some and leaving slivers of borders on others. Remember, depending on how old or how many years span of photos you have, you have to deal with border and borderless prints! So, post-production cropping cannot be avoided in most instances.
2. Your photos are too big for scanner.
3. Photo too fragile to be handle, ie cannot be removed from frame (image surface stuck to glass) or have too much creases to scan well.

High resolution Scanning is always better but it's slow and tedious.

Last edited:

yauman

Yes, What Kevin said :) If you are in the US, Costco does a very good job and very affordable. Give them a box of photos and get a CD with jpg images back!

At our store we charge $15 PER SCAN - at 4000dpi (optical native resolution) and that's before any color correction or spotting - that's an additional $95 per hour - all manual labor. So unless you have a really really valuable old old photo, give them to Costco! We do photo copying with camera only if absolutely cannot scan.

WayneF

I have many old photos I need to get into Lightroom. It seems to me that photographing them would be much faster than scanning. Has anyone seen or developed a nice technique to do this fast with good results?

Since I have many photos to do, I do not mind putting some work into a proper set-up for accomplishing this. I have a Tamron macro lens, a Tamron 18-270 zoom lens, an SB-700 with an sc-29 remote cord, a tripod, and a polarizing filter (if needed to reduce glare). Also have some umbrella's with stands if needed. Body is a Nikon 3100 but may have a 7100 by the time I do this.

I was wondering if you were still around. :)

A scanner is a more convenient automatic setup, and a scanner is pretty fast for small prints, designed for this, and I'd say more forgiving. I would be hard pressed to think of a reason to not choose the scanner for this (film may be a different story). But sure, the camera works fine. I'd say no big deal, just do it. IMO, the issues are the setup accurately near 90 degrees, and the focus of course, and that the lighting is not reflecting with glare. If not flash, you can see this in the viewfinder, but light angled off a bit. (Scanner is automatic on all of this). Camera is better than a scanner for any textured surface finish prints, scanner cannot control the lighting angle. It is an easier setup than copying slides. And for B&W prints, white balance is not an issue, so I'd say flash has no advantage for this. Probably harder.

For scanners too, processing of B&W should convert to grayscale, except maybe the sepia prints (grayscale may help them too). Menu named Grayscale, not the desaturate crap. :) This processing should include tight white point and black point Levels too (individually done), grayscale needs more contrast than color. Even slight clipping, to insure there is a little something truly black and truly white in the image (most prints), which was Ansel Adam's prime rule. Makes a big difference on most prints.

Scanning: You do NOT want high resolution for prints (counter-productive). High resolution is for enlarging small film. 300 dpi scans are just right to reprint at same original size (and prints do not have resolution to reprint enlarged much - nothing like film). 300 dpi scans will appear about 3x original size seen on most monitors. 300 dpi scans are fairly fast. You are probably not reprinting, so 200 dpi probably works fine for the monitor (2x), however if doing the work, it might as well be 300 dpi. But a 6x4 inch 300 dpi print is only 2 megapixels... it does not need a 14 megapixel camera (35mm film can benefit however).

I remember doing a couple of hundred back in the day once, film camera, on a kitchen table with only the overhead room light. I had no macro lens with me, just regular lens. adequately close (I'd use the macro lens if I had it, but this is not at macro distances). Worked fine. Umbrella is OK, but not needed, it's for shadows, but the flat surface has no shadows to light. It is not portrait lighting, and lighting a little more distant makes the lighting very even and forgiving, and long exposure is no problem for a tripod. Just trying to say, no big deal, it works very well. I would call prints very easy to do (the 90 degree setup seems the hardest part).

Last edited:

Revet

Thanks everyone for the input. It looks like I need to re-visit the scanning option. I have an Epson Workforce 645 but to be honest I have not done much scanning to date. I guess I was remembering older scanners which seemed to take forever to do one scan.

Yes Wayne, I am still around. I am doing less reading about photography and more shooting with the camera. Has paid off well.

Thanks Sparky on the tip about Autosplitter, I will check that out.

Last edited:

Kamper

It has been a few years back that I converted all my prints and slides to digital, it was a huge project that took my wife and myself about 3 months to complete. I had Rubbermaid totes full of photo albums and slide carousels. I bought a flat bed scanner to scan my prints and bought a slide/negative scanner to scan my slides. The flatbed scanner wasn't that expensive, but the slide scanner was about $400 and was Firewire and USB compatible. I considered having the process done by a local company that offered the service but they charged close to a $1 per scan, maybe $.90 if I remember correctly. I had around 6k slides and scans to do so I got busy and we did it ourselves.

I had a bunch of old photo albums that the prints were stuck to the pages and I had to cut the pages apart around the photos to save the photo. I would then scan the photo and later discard the print. Really important photos I would do high res scans but a lot of photos I did more of a lower res to save time as that was the big issue waiting on the computer to save the scan.

I basically did the same for all my slide scans but used a slide/negative scanner. This process took hours to get through all my stock photos...My wife would organize piles of photos for me to scan by years and I would work on the piles on my days off and free time after work until my eyes would cross...It took us about 3 months to get everything digitized, and that did not include any editing of the scans. After I was done I sold the slide scanner to a guy at work for about 60% of what I paid and we were both happy with the deal. It took a bunch of time for us to complete but we were able to keep only the scans we wanted and we saved ourselves a bucket load of money.

It was a good process to do as my stock of photos had been downgraded to a storage area that got fairly hot in the summer and cold in the winter and it was only time before they became junk..many of the early year photos, some dating back to 1976 were becoming yellow so it was time to get them scanned, and edited while they were still salvagable. Most everything turned out really good after hours of editing and are now safe on hard drive in a firebox, a copy on Time Machine and an upload to Crash Plan. I am up to just under 14k photos to date. It was a real PIA to do but I am glad it is done. I still go back and send old photos to people for different occasions via email and I always get comments about the old photos. I feel I secured a lot of family history when we went to digital, I could have lost everything in a fire or even water damage, but now they are secure. Just my $0.02 Ken

aroy

The digital DSLR camera with a macro lens is another good way to "scan" slides. Can be much faster than a scanner.
See Scanning thousands of slides? Try a digital camera

If you have only 35mm film or slides to scan, then the 60mm macro with an copy adapter ring is the way to go with FF sensor. For DX an extra extension is needed, as the rig is 1:1, where as for DX you need about 1:1.5. If you have larger negatives, then the rig becomes more complicated. At 24MP you are digitizing at much higher density than a good film scanner. For prints any good flat bed scanner is more than enough - my HP 3-in-1 ($150 printer) does the job perfectly.

Chubby

I've got about 500, 35mm color slides that I need to turn into digital, anyone have experience with this? I don't want to turn this into a DYI but have it sent out.

Last edited:

aroy

I've got about 500, 35mm color slides that I need to turn into digital, anyone have experience with this? I don't want to turn this into a DYI but have it sent out.

Sending 500 out will be quite expensive, much more in my estimate than getting a 60mm D with slide copying attachment. Once adjusted, you can just insert a slide and shoot, easily polishing the job in a 10 hour day. The upside is that you have gained a 60mm macro, downside is that you will spend a day.
Refurbished Nikon Micro Lens AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D
ES-1 Slide Copying Adapter for 52mm Thread from Nikon

Philnz

I tried, gave up and ended up scanning 100s of old photos for my mum. I ended up scanning on a high resolution, with 2 photos per scan and the scanner seperated the photos... to be honest, they looked as good as the origiinal photos... lots less stress too.

I tried glass, I tried photo mounts, and other things I cannot remember anymore.

Good luck with it :)
Way to go for sure.

kamaccord

Thanks for the thread and all the replies everyone. I'm glad this subject was brought up and addressed. Has anyone converted the old slide images to digital format? If so, what process would you recommend for converting over 1000 slide images? Thanks again to everyone.

aroy

I described it in Post #17.
. Get Nikon 60mm Macro
. Get Nikon slide attachment
. If you have a DX sensor, get an extension ring
it becomes an assembly line job - insert a slide, check focus, shoot, insert next slide. I estimate 10 sec max turn around time - 6/min, 360/hour, rest 15 min, total time 4 hours of scanning (if you do not run out of battery)

If you have D5xxx or higher body, then you can set up tethered shoot using Digicam Control. Then you can check focus on screen of your computer (D3xxx live view is not supported by either Nikon or any one else)
Put them all together, check the focus in live view, check light source. Once satisfied

Last edited: