New here and need a camera and don't know where to start

Trisha

Hello! I'm new here and don't know much about cameras but am interested in buying a Nikon for macro photography of insects and flowers. And maybe some bird photography also.

Not sure where to start, but I am interested in Nikon because the very old digital camera I have is a Nikon. The Nikon web site is not very helpful, so I found this site.

Where on this forum should I even start reading and asking questions?

Thanks

weebee

Hi! And welcome to the forum. You can post in the general discussion until you get an idea on what camera you want. The first thing we'll need to know is how much you plan to invest. As you probably know these cameras can start at a low cost all the way to an major investment. Prime lenses for macro can start at 500.00 or so for a used one. If you're on a tight budget then you can get something like a Tamron 18-200 that can also do macro. Anyway, let us know your price point and we'll help as much as we can. After all, we love spending other peoples money!!

Trisha

Thanks! I'm not really sure what I can spend yet. I'd rather think of it from the perspective of what I need or want and then either I'll find a way to pay for it or wait until I can afford it. Having said that, I'd prefer not to spend more than $1500 - which I think can be done. I've seen macro lenses for $500 or so that I guess are pretty good and the actual cameras for around that much too. But I suppose the other issues are what else do I also need, like a tripod - what kind and how much to spend on that too. And I guess I don't really even know about what those other things are that I should be asking about in terms of features, accessories, etc.

And I checked to see what the camera I have now is - its a Nikon coolpix 5600. Obviously, its old and very limited. I can't manually focus, can't take close up photos and it takes forever in between photos to be able to take another one.

Other than that, I have an iphone - which actually does a better job. And some years ago I did some photography with a film camera (that wasn't mine), I didn't really understand the technical stuff with it but was able to take halfway decent pictures.

fotojack

Hi Trisha. Welcome to Nikonites. Welcome to the forum. Knowing where you live (US, Canada, Europe, etc.) really helps us answer your questions, too. Different countries have different prices for the same gear.

If you fill out your profile we can better answer any questions that you might have.
You can do that at http://nikonites.com/profile.php?do=editprofile

FAQ

Some useful links
Nikon Product Manuals available for download | Nikon Knowledgebase
Nikon | Imaging Products | Digitutor

Thanks

Become a Contributing Member

Deleted

Hi Trisha & welcome

I was in much the same situation as you 2 weeks ago before I found this forum. I came from a Canon 35mm SLR over 15 years ago & then drifted out of photography. Over the past few years I've had a digital compact camera & an iPhone. I got the inspiration again recently & embarked on the sharp leaving curve to catch up on DSLR cameras.

The technical quality of a photograph is mainly from the digital sensor, then from the lenses. the sensor being the most important. Larger is better, so if you remember back to medium format cameras, they were always higher quality that 35mm. The two main sensor sizes in DSLR are FX - which is roughly equal to 35mm, & DX which is about 2/3 the size of FX. You can probably tell that FX is therefore higher quality than DX. But either would be much higher quality than a compact camera or iPhone which have very small sensors. Total number of pixels is much less important than sensor size. A 12mp DX camera will be much higher quality than a 12mp compact camera.

Unfortunately, sensors are very expensive & a camera with an FX sensor will be much more expensive than a DX. As an example, the lowest FX camera in the Nikon range (D610), is around twice the price of the highest DX camera (D7100) in the range.

Each range, the DX & FX has a small range of cameras. The DX ranges from the D3300, through D5300 to the D7100. Each camera offering better features, but basically the same sensor size. Likewise the FX range has the same larger sensor size, but the cameras have more professional features.

A further complication is the lenses. There is a range of DX lenses which are priced & aimed at the enthusiast. The DX lenses are cheaper, smaller & lighter relative to the FX range. The FX lenses have a larger range with 2 or 3 streams within aimed at enthusiasts, semi-pro & full professional photographers with prices to match. There are some of the best lenses in the world available in this range.

Your first decision will be whether to go with DX or FX. This is often set by budget, which is why several people asked this. If you feel it's likely that you will stay an enthusiastic amateur, or your budget is the controlling factor, then DX may be the way to go. Quality is very good & even starting at the D3300 you could produce very good pictures. If you feel that in the medium term you may eventually upgrade to FX, or you may want the option to sell your photographs or you want the very best quality, then start with FX.

Start by looking at the prices & think about where you'd like to be in 3 years time. At both ends of the scale, for a less expensive amateur route, the D3300 with a 85mm f/3.5G AF-S VR DX IF-ED Micro for macro would work well, for the best quality possible in DSLR look at the D810 with a 105mm f/2.8G AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor IF-ED.

Bear in mind that in 35mm photography we knew where we were with lenses. A 35mm was a mild wide angle, 50mm was the standard lens & 85mm for portraits. This is the same for FX cameras. However DX cameras need a bit of maths due to the smaller sensor. You need to multiply the DX lenses by 1.5 to get the equivalents in 35mm film photography. So a 35mm in DX is the standard lens (35 x 1.5 = 52.5).

Good luck & ask anything you don't understand. We've all been there! :)

SteveH

Welcome to the forum Trisha!
I haven't done any Macro work, but it is something I'm wanting to have a crack at too. I think you can certainly get a good camera & lens(es) on your budget, for serious macro work you will need other bits such as tripod, remote shutter release etc - But I don't think you'd need these right away so you could get the body and lens and then read up on the "Next stage" of equipment while you find your feet with the new camera.

Either way, you'll always see more stuff that you want... Your camera kit-list will never be "Complete" :D

Deezey

Hi Trisha!! Welcome!

So, Macro photography and bird photography. Those are two types of photography needing completely different set ups.

But first and foremost lets start with the camera itself. Any of the semi new camera bodies will work for Macro Photography. So the sky is the limit with those. The main thing is how comfortable the body feels in your hands. Then start looking at the specs. How much do you want to control the picture taking process? Or do you mind letting the camera take the lead in most instances? If you want more control over the camera, look more at the used Prosumer cameras. D90, D300/s, D7000 series. These have more button and dial controls than menu controls. I would not go older than the D90. A D7000 would be a good middle ground here.

If you don't mind going through menus and things look more at the D3000, D5000 series. I wouldn't go below the D3200/5200 models. But thats just me.

Note that the above models are DX format. Not the more expensive FX format. Unless you are in this for the long haul, look more towards the still capable, but more budget friendly DX format.

Now to lenses. The easiest way to get into macro would be to get one of the smaller lenses such as the 40mm Macro. Stick to the primes if you can. While the zoom macros do work, but they wont hold a candle to a true macro. A cheaper option is to get a kit lens such as the 55-200mm lens and then purchase a Raynox DCR-250. The Raynox clip on close up filter is really good quality and allows your lens to focus at a much closer distance. On the 55-200 I can get to a focus distance of 6 inches. I don't own a Macro, but if you cruise through my thread (plug plug) all my close up shots are with kit lenses and the Raynox. While still not as good as a macro, its better than the so called zoom macros....

Now a birding lens....honestly....in good light almost anything will work. In bad lighting....be prepared to spend big. But thats just like anything else in photography.

But the main thing in all this is to have fun and don't be afraid to ask questions!!

Horoscope Fish

I'd suggest you look into the D5300 with the 18-140mm lens to get you started. This setup is well within your budget and is a combination with enough horsepower to accomplish most types of photography with ease. Once you get comfortable with shooting with a DSLR (expect a bit of a learning curve!) you'll be in a much better position to determine what sort of specialty lens, or lenses, you need to accomplish what you want to do.

In my opinion, the D5300 hits the price vs. performance "sweet-spot" in Nikon's DX lineup.

aroy

Hello! I'm new here and don't know much about cameras but am interested in buying a Nikon for macro photography of insects and flowers. And maybe some bird photography also.

Not sure where to start, but I am interested in Nikon because the very old digital camera I have is a Nikon. The Nikon web site is not very helpful, so I found this site.

Where on this forum should I even start reading and asking questions?

Thanks
Contrary to what most people think, a good P&S camera can take excellent macro shots, especially flowers and large bugs. The DOF you get with a small sensor can never be duplicated with a large sensor, which has much less DOF which translates to a very small plane where the flower or bug will be in focus.

That said, if you want to go the DSLR route then get a D3300 with its kit lense, and later add a 60mm macro. The reasons for getting the least expensive current model is that it is an excellent body, light weight and a relatively long lasting battery. The 60mm is an FX lense, buts its main UPS is the linearity edge to edge. It is also the preferred lense for copy work, due to both the linearity and low CA.

There are quite a few threads which have images shot with the D3300+18-55 kit lense. In fact I started the "Insects with non macro lense" thread just to show that a lot of "near" macro shots can be taken with normal lenses. Here are some threads you can peruse
http://nikonites.com/macro/21534-insects-non-macro-lenses.html#axzz3CFweAtoi
http://nikonites.com/wild-life/5623-post-your-spiders.html#axzz3CFweAtoi
http://nikonites.com/computers-and-...os-using-comments-thoughts.html#axzz3CFweAtoi
http://nikonites.com/general-lenses/24536-macro-lenses-dx-bodies.html#axzz3CFweAtoi
http://nikonites.com/prime/21560-af-s-nikkor-35mm-1-8g-dx.html#axzz3CFweAtoi
http://nikonites.com/wide-angle/21129-18-55mmg-vr-ii.html#axzz3CFweAtoi

Fortkentdad

Bit late to this discussion but thought I'd add my two cents worth.

Lots of great advice already given. I'd like to recommend that if you want more bang for your buck you consider a good used unit from a reputable dealer who will back up the equipment. There are several on-line vendors who do this. Do be careful out there. I'd only buy a camera from a dealer with a warranty. Some sell from their websites, some on eBay. Brick and mortar shops may also have a used section where you could try it out.

This may allow you to consider FX - or not. I started with a D5100 and recently stepped up to FX with a D610. Many people start in DX - many stay there and that's fine, nothing wrong with DX at all - some absolutely stunning images taken with DX camera and lenses. Some move to FX.

Used lenses and older lenses are also an option. One thing to add to your deliberations; some of the entry level cameras will not power the older AF autofocus on lenses if the lens does not have a motor in the lens. They need an AF-S lens. This is a minor limitation and applies mostly to older style lenses. Having a camera with a lens motor in the camera costs a wee bit more but does allow you to use lenses without that built in motor. Some prefer the motor in the lens anyway. But just something else to consider in making your purchase.

As for specifics on Macro photography. I have a Nikkor 60mm macro and it is a fantastic lens (paid about $500) but also find that I can get great macro's with a $100 used Nikkor 70-210 lens I bought on line. The advantage does go to the 60 but both produce nice images. Look at the section here on images shot with a non-macro lens and see the differences.

NOW you also said shooting birds - that is a whole new world - and a more expensive hobby. You will need a good long lens and camera with fast FPS (frames per second). A D7100 would probably be my choice for that. The DX crop factor is to your advantage as it stretches the focal length. A 300mm lens on a DX is like a 450mm lens on an FX camera. Longer than 300 will really cost you.

Bill16

Welcome! I hope we'll be able to help you be as thrilled with photography as we are! :D

I would add my two cents too, but instead I'll offer just one piece of advice. Don't even try to get everything your wanting right away. Get a good Nikon and a good lens, then work from there over time. I'm saying this for a reason. If you buy most of the stuff you think you need while on a budget, you'll likely find later that a lot of it is just not good enough, leaving you unhappy with the stuff. I would recommend getting a good Nikon that seems like it will work the best for you, and get one lens that will allow you to start shooting stuff you like right away. Then as you go along, you can buy what you feel you need most, getting a good version so your happy with it. :)

fotojack

Yup...I've got nothing to add to the already good advice. given....and it's all good. So...get started, find a good new or used camera, lens, etc., and get out there and start shooting! Oh, and have fun while you're doing it! :)

Trisha

Thanks for all your advice and information! As soon as I have time I will go back through and respond to everyone - daughter's birthday is coming up so will be busy for a few days getting ready.

traceyjj

Some great advice on this thread. I started my Nikon journey with a D5100 and a Sigma 17 - 70 zoom. The sigma lens macro was fantastic (for my needs anyway)
My main suggestion, go to a camera store and try out the Nikons within your price budget, asking the store to put on various lenses to make sure the camera fits your hands, and is not too big/small/light/heavy for you to want to use and explore with.
Oh and I really like the advice about not buying everything at once...

Trisha

I just saw an egg of a species I'd love to get pictures of, but alas, no camera I can even begin to take a picture it with! I may talk myself into getting something earlier.

aroy

I just saw an egg of a species I'd love to get pictures of, but alas, no camera I can even begin to take a picture it with! I may talk myself into getting something earlier.

Acquire a camera as soon as feasible. In the mean time use a cell phone with a good camera, after all an indifferent image is better than no image. You will be surprised at the quality you can get with a cell phone in good light. I have shot a lot with my cell phone, as that is always with me. My Nokia has a "Macro" mode which can take images at very short distance - a normal wrist watch (40mm) will fill the whole image area.

Here are two images taken with 5MP camera on my Nokia.

20131124-017.jpg

20131124-024.jpg