Lens recommendation?

trapper

Hi all,
We got our daughter a 7100 last Christmas.
She has become very interested in macro shots.
Can anyone recommend a macro lens that we could get her THIS Christmas?
Thanks
John

Bill16

The Nikkor af-s 105mm f/2.8 micro vr lens or the Nikkor AF 105mm f/2.8 micro D lens! Both lenses would work just fine on the D7100, and are awesome macro lenses! :D

Also the Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro lens has been working great for some of our top macro shooters here too! :)

trapper

Blacktop-some knucklehead (ME!) didn't know there was a macro forum until after posting in the general forum-thanx

Whats the difference 'tween the 2 lenses Bill16 mentioned?

Bill16

Well there are a few differences between the two lenses. First one is a DX and the other is a fx lens. The D lens (fx) is about $400.00 cheaper, it doesn't have a built in focus motor in the lens, and lacks the vibration reduction. The Af-s has the built in focus motor, the VR, and has internal focusing so it doesn't extend any longer than it is all the time, and like I stated it's more expensive! :)
I've heard the AF-S is suppose to be slightly sharper, but I haven't seen any evidence of that I noticed.

Since the D7100 has a built in focus motor either lens will auto focus just fine and will work great on that Nikon model. :)

Correction! I was wrong! They are both FX lenses! Sorry guys for my mistake!

Blacktop-some knucklehead (ME!) didn't know there was a macro forum until after posting in the general forum-thanx

Whats the difference 'tween the 2 lenses Bill16 mentioned?

Last edited:

RocketCowboy

I thought both of the 105mm f/2.8 micro lenses were FX lenses? The AF-S would have an internal auto focus servo, while the D lens would require the camera body to auto focus (like the D7100). I've been lusting for the AF-S 105mm, but maybe I'm mistaken?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SkvLTD

105's are, @RocketCowboy. The 40 Macro is DX as is 85 f/3.5. 60mm is FX.

Personally if money is less of an issue, go for the 100/105s (Tokina, Nikkor, Tamron), even better Sigma 150mm. Else Tamron 90 SP, whether the newer Di or the older version that still has internal 1:1 ratio.

The rest is lighting and setup.

SteveH

Yep, both the Nikkor 105's (af-s 'G' & the 'D') are DX and FX compatible. The difference is the D model doesn't have a focus motor, but that isn't an issue with the D7100 anyway, and Vibration Reduction.

Out of all the lenses mentioned, I'm personally going for the Nikkor 105mm AF-S G. It is a newer model than the D version, and if you look at some of the shots taken with it, it gets awesome results. Now I just have to decide wether to get the Macro lens, or the Tamron 150-600..........

Last edited:

mikew_RIP

Yep, both the Nikkor 105's (af-s 'G' & the 'D') are DX and FX compatible. The difference is the D model doesn't have a focus motor, but that isn't an issue with the D7100 anyway.

Out of all the lenses mentioned, I'm personally going for the Nikkor 105mm AF-S G. It is a newer model than the D version, and if you look at some of the shots taken with it, it gets awesome results. Now I just have to decide wether to get the Macro lens, or the Tamron 150-600..........

You know you want the 150-600 first :D

SteveH

You know you want the 150-600 first :D

I know.... I'm trying to deny it but failing....
I visited the Yorkshire Wildlife Park last weekend and started planting the seeds in my wife's head when she saw my cropped 55-300mm shots. I'd upload a few of the shots but I get page not found errors on file uploads! lol

mikew_RIP

I know.... I'm trying to deny it but failing....
I visited the Yorkshire Wildlife Park last weekend and started planting the seeds in my wife's head when she saw my cropped 55-300mm shots. I'd upload a few of the shots but I get page not found errors on file uploads! lol

Just had a look and i think you have the same shot 3 times in your gallery :D fun here aint it

Bill16

Sorry guys! I was mistaken on the one of the 105mm micro lenses being DX. Added a correction to my original post too.

wornish

I got the Nikkor 105 AF-S f/2.8 G and its amazing it is the default lens that I keep on my camera.
That said the Tamron is very good as well just look at WEV's shots on the macro and post-your-insects forum they are superb he takes a lot of macros with the Tamron.

On a DX camera the 105 mm might be a bit too long for some shots so another alternative could be either the Nikkor 60mm f/2.8 micro or the Tamron 60mm f/2.0 macro they are both about the same price.

Bill16

I love my 105mm micro on my DX Nikon's it never seemed too long to me! :)
It is absolutely one of my favorite lenses, and I even miss my Nikkor 105mm converted to ai lens! It was awesome too! :D

I got the Nikkor 105 AF-S f/2.8 G and its amazing it is the default lens that I keep on my camera.
That said the Tamron is very good as well just look at WEV's shots on the macro and post-your-insects forum they are superb he takes a lot of macros with the Tamron.

On a DX camera the 105 mm might be a bit too long for some shots so another alternative could be either the Nikkor 60mm f/2.8 micro or the Tamron 60mm f/2.0 macro they are both about the same price.

trapper

s
even better Sigma 150mm. .

Wouldn't that give her more room working on butterflies or dragonflies or even flowers?
I found 1 used in "E" condition for $550 at 1 of the big wholesale houses.
It is the 2.8, EX, DG, APO, Macro--mfrs # 106-306.

Last edited:

Horoscope Fish

Wouldn't that give her more room working on butterflies or dragonflies or even flowers? I found 1 used in "E" condition for $550 at 1 of the big wholesale houses. It is the 2.8, EX, DG, APO, Macro--mfrs # 106-306.
While I can't speak to the exact specimen you're considering, the Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX DG APO Macro is a superb lens.

Edit: Here's a review of the Sigma 150mm Macro from Photozone.

rocketman122

I have the 105 VR micro. great lens. expensive. IQ thats even better than this for much less money...the Tokina 100mm 2.8. extremely well made, very fast AF. close to half the Nikon VR lens in price. NO VR though. I hardly use VR on mine. hardly

when I was looking for Macro lens (basically for portraits and ring shots. or makeup pictures of the brides eyes) it was between

-Nikon 105 AFD (3rd on my list) a bit slow in AF and non rounded blades is distracting and noticeable in pics, which put it in 3rd place
-Nikon 105 VR AFS (1st on my list) the best for bokeh quality but not as sharp wide open as the Tokina. hood gets worn out quickly and doesnt mount as tight after prolonged mounting unmounting.
-Tokina 100mm (2nd on my list) no VR IF id need it. I would have no issue going for the Tokina if I had to make a decision to buy again. 9 bladed straight blades though. IQ is amazing.

others to consider
Tamron 90mm 2.8-seems like a nice lens but the 90mm focal length is similar to the 85mm 1.8 prime I have so shame to go with that
sigma 105. I owned the EX version years back. soft wide open and at F4 was useable. the new OS version should be better but the stabilizing system is noisy by reviews.

personally, if I was in your situation, id go for the 85mm 1.8g which is a great portrait lens and buy an extension tube set
for AF which isnt necessary and a lot more money
Genuine Kenko Automatic Extension Tube Set DG for Nikon AF | eBay
or a simple set that works fine
AF Auto Focus Macro Extension Tube Set L8E for Nikon | eBay

because 85 will act more like 127mm and thats nice for portraits, and yes its not able to naturally focus so close but it isnt relevant for macro since I manually focus anyway as the depth of field is so shallow and you need to be precise. Af is just not useable and will drive her crazy. macro is only done with manual focusing. macro isnt exactly a fast action. you need time to do macro shots.

i

besides the tamron, all of them may be a bit too tight on a DX.

Last edited:

trapper

Showing my ignorance, I must ask you pro's......Is there a range of lens length that will let her shoot into flower centers, etc, bettter?
I probably should have mentioned flowers in my initial post!
Flowers and the like are her main interest.
Is the Sigma 150mm too long or a Nikon 60mm too short?
Would 85mm to 105mm be the best range for that application?
She will need to rely on AF I'm thinking, not manual focusing.
Thanks guys!