Portrait

jengajoh

I took this in a bar, her glasses in the shadow (right side) bother me. How would I fix this?
I posted in both BW and in color just for the heck of it.

Rachel portrait BW copy.jpg
Rachel portrait copy.jpg

fotojack

Jen, it may be from the coating on her glasses that are causing that shadow effect you see. I can't imagine how you'd fix that in PP. Pretty good portrait, though. Maybe you should have bounced a flash off the wall on her left side (right side of the picture). Just throwing ideas out there for you. :)

ohkphoto

Snow White
Possibility of a nice portrait, Jen. You might try to darken the rims of her glass in the shadow part so that they blend a little more with the shadow and up her exposure on the dark side of the face. Go for blending in this case. I think it would look too odd if you cut the glasses out (unless you take the frame off BOTH eyes, which is a lot of photoshopping!)

Joseph Bautsch

Jen, using a 2x2 foot sheet of foam board or poster board just off to the right would have reflected enough light to fill in the shadows. Also moving the subject out away from the wall would help eliminate the wall shadow. I would also have taken the shot at eye level and would have had the subject look more to the front or have the head turned more toward the camera. That would have relieved the stress look imparted by the eyes. Getting a shot like this without the eyeglass shadow is difficult. You can try to position the head or the main light so that the shadow is directly behind eyeglass frame. In both formal and informal portrait, shooting at eye level almost always gives you a much more pleasing composition. For this picture you should be able to lighten up the shadows and remove the eyeglass shadow in post processing. Also the cropping is a little too tight around the head.

Last edited:

jcottone45

Jen, first, its a nice shot both in BW/Color, I seem to favor color, my preference only, the only thing I think that might have helped is to take a half step/step back re compose & see if the shadow(s) is better or not. Joe's idea of shooting at eye level works for me. And try with/without glasses on before you shoot. It might just eliminate a lot of photoshopping as Helene stated. Just my 2 cents.

Ranie

Jen - aside from darkening the right side, you can try also the shadow/highlights function.
It may bring up some details on the dark/right side of the face.