Nikon D5100 new user

David G

Hello all.
i've just returned to photography after several years (Canon 1000f) and have just bought a new Nikon D5100 DSLR. Loving experimenting with it so far....look forward to reading other's experiences on here.:)

traceyjj

Welcome! I loved my D5100, and took some (in my opinion) great shots with it. Learned so much too. I hope you will enjoy it as much as I did, and share some of your images with us too.

David G

Thank you everyone....I'm looking forward to learning about its ( many ) features and hopefully get some decent shots. My first day with it was on a visit to Evesham....played with a bit of street photography....some ok shots...but realised I have a lot to learn lol....

oldhippy

Like others have said. Loved my D5100. Got a lot of wonderful shots, and a great time learning photography. Welcome aboard. Ed

David G

Thank you again everyone...what a great site...looking forward to learning from it and being able to (hopefully) contribute some worthwhile info myself at times......

Bill16

Welcome! I wrote a welcome to you earlier, but for some reason it never posted! Lol :)

Anyway I hope you'll love it here with us! !:D

David G

Thank you...enjoying looking around on here.
re my timelapse...I now have moviemaker but can't quite get the speed of the motions correct. The min duration of each frame is 1 sec causing a start/stop effect...the speed adjustment is greyed out....will persevere though....

A couple of questions to get you started in the right direction.
Are you shooting in RAW or JPEG? If JPEG make sure you are shooting in JPEG Fine - Large. There is also a sharpness setting for JPEG that by default is set way to low. I no longer have my D5100 but I am sure someone here can point you to the proper place to adjust that setting.

David G

Hi Don. I'm in JPEG fine at the moment...I'll go into the menu and check to make sure it's set to large...will look at the sharpness and experiment with that one too.
thank you.