Automatic bracketing?

Jim McClain

I like doing landscapes and bracket most of my sessions. Is there a way to have the D5300 automatically shoot all 3 shots at the over/under setting I choose? Right now I am shooting 3 individual shots (with a wired remote). During a sunset/sunrise or moon shot, this can take too long. Is there a better way? I've had the camera less than 2 months and am still learning the settings and features.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim McClain

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I know how to set up how many and how much bracketing. I just don't know how, if it it is possible, to be able to fire the shutter just one time to get all the bracketed shots. If that's still what you are referring to, I might need a little step-by-step.

Thanks,

Jim

PapaST

To the best of my knowledge, if you want 3 different exposures you have to actuate the shutter 3 times. It's that way with my Nikon cameras. Typically I shoot in CL or CH so that when I press and hold the shutter release it will fire off 3 or how many I selected real fast.

Felisek

I don't know if this is possible in D5300, but in my D7100 I assigned "bracketing burst" to Fn button. So, I set my bracketing first (number of shots and EV step) and then while holding the Fn button I press and hold the shutter button and it fires all bracketing shots in a quick succession. Then, it automatically stops, so there is no danger of doing too many shots.

In D7100 it is under custom settings f2.

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
Alan, I believe after reading the manual (I haven't tried it) you can set up for Bracketing and then set up "Release Mode" for CL (Continuous Slow) or CH (Continuous High) and then shoot continuous Brackets. It will pause between your three bracketed shots for a time before starting the next set. The Fn button on the D5300 can not be programmed like the D7100. That option in the D5300 is not available. In the Fn setting, you can however program it to change the tpe of bracketing, ie Exposure, White Balance, or ADL.

Now that you have asked the question, I will have to go try the "Continuous" mode. I had been shooting my brackets (only a couple of times) like you.

Last edited:

hrvojexyz

I am using bracketing too.This is how I do it :

-I set shooting mode to 2 sec. delay - If I have lot of time
-I turn on bracketing option, mostly +-1
-take photos

Other option is not to use 2sec.delay, also works fine, with setting shooting mode to continously H or L ., which .. promises a bit blurry shots.

When I already know I wont have time to play in Photomatix , I use in-camera HDR, low or normal

Last edited: