Just Bought Kit From Costco Now I think I'd like a Wide Angle Lense

TomAllyn

I'm totally new to using DSLR's. This Nikon is the first camera I've owned that is not just a simple point and shoot.

So I really don't want to spend a whole lot. I'm thinking I'd like to get a Sigma of some type. Suggestions and Advice would be greatly appreciated. If a wide angle wouldn't be the best choice.

My intended usage is to take nature and wildlife photos for my personal enjoyment and to share with family and friends.

480sparky

1. What lens(es) do you already have? It's kinda hard to suggest something without knowing what's already in your bag.

2. Wide-angles aren't really the best for wildlife.

3. "A whole lot" is a relative term. For some, $200 is 'a whole lot'. For others, $2,000 is pocket change.

TomAllyn

Currently I have a Nikon AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/45.6G IF-ED and AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II.

I'm hoping to not have to spend more much than $300, but if there is a compelling reason even though I'm a rank amateur I'll consider it.

Thank you so much for your reply.

singlerosa_RIP

If you're totally new, I suggest you learn to use what you have before you buy anything else. Spend the money on a class or two and a Dave Busch D3300 Guide or something similar. The more you know about your gear and how to use it, the more you'll know what additional equipment you need. Maybe you already know that trying to take a picture of a bear that's 200 yards away at dusk with your 55-200 is not cutting it. Unfortunately, you'll have to spend more than $300 to get a keeper in that situation. My other suggestion is buy the best glass you can afford and don't be afraid of refurbed and used.

480sparky

To get someone of quality that's wider than the 18-whatever kit lenses, your budget is woefully short. Double it and you might get something.

As for the long end for wildlife, look into the 70-300. It's available in two flavors, with and without VR, and is one of the best Nikkors out there in it's price range. Lots of used one abound, so keep your powder dry until you find a good deal.

Bill16

One thing I will add to this, is if you stick around here and be active in this forum, you will learn all sorts of things great to know. I'm saying this from my own experience. When I first came here I barely knew which end of the camera pointed away from you. Lol :)

And Now that I experienced taking a selfie, I have no doubt I should always point the lens away from me! Lol :)

Lastly I agree with my buddy Blacktop. If you really want a wide angle lens, the Tokina 11-16mm will give you a great lens for a reasonable price. I'm wishing I had one myself right now! Lol :)

PS. Welcome to Nikonites! :D

yauman

Currently I have a Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II.

Hmm.. I don't know if you realize that you already have a wide-angle lens! With a crop sensor, any focal length shorter than 38mm is consider "wide angle" when it comes to field of view (FOV) Full size sensors (FX) and 35mm film have "normal" lens of 50mm. So, your 18mm-55mm at the short end is definitely very much a wide-angle lens. How wide do you want it to be?

Deleted

Lots of great advice for you here, Tom.

A lens particularly suited to wildlife is going to be quite expensive as these lenses will have long focal lengths - 300mm upwards. What sort of wildlife were you thinking of?

As the others mentioned, you already have a mild wide-angle lens. A wide-angle is generally for things like landscapes - where you can get a whole lot in the view at once. Taking a bear with a wide angle would need you about 6" away from him - probably not a good idea. :)

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
If you could find a pre-owned Sigma 10-20 3.5-5.6, it probably would be within your $ range. But beware of the magic thought about lenses. I often hear "Ah, if only I had that lens, my pictures would be better". Well, nothing is farther than the truth. As much as a good knowledgeable photographer can produce excellent pics with a great lens, a poor photographer will produce poor pics with any lens he'll use. There is a lot more to be learned by studying and practicing composition and lighting than what effect such and such a lens can bring you.

So, my advice is to use what you have, learn and master post processing (photoshop, lightroom) and then you will know which lens you need for your use.

Welcome to our bunch and practice, practice and keep practicing with the lenses you have. Until then save your money because if you persevere you'll want better glass and it will be very expensive in the end, that I can guarantee.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

I'll second the recommendation to buy David Busch's Guide, which you can find on Amazon at a decent price. He writes very instructional books, and he is well versed in all things Nikon and photography in general. I've read two of his books, and learned quite a lot.

TomAllyn

Thank you so much everyone for the advise. I'm going to go out and take some pictures this morning and see how they turn out with what I have.

I bought David's Nikon D3300 kindle version last night and have started reading it.

Last edited: