In need of help

Ianoz

Hi I am an Englishman living in France, and I have a problem, for the last 6 years I have been using an Olympus E410 not to bad a camera 6 years ago and it has served me well,
The time has come to buy a better camera, for the last few weeks I have sat in front of this PC and read a lot of reports and in the end I have chosen a Nikon D 5300,
Over the years I have colleted a few lens’s two of witch I hope to keep and use with the future Nikon, 1[SUP]st[/SUP] is a vivitar series 1 100-400 f4.5 the only mark on the lens is AF,The 2[SUP]ND[/SUP] is a cosina 28-210 f3.5 with the same mark (AF).

I would like to ask your community if they know if the two lens’s will work with the D 5300, both of them work well on my old F 50 and with an adaptor on the E410 but of course only on manual.

So what do you think?.

[FONT=&quot]Cheers Ian [/FONT]

Fred Kingston

I assume when you say " my old F 50" you mean a Nikon F50, and "with an adapter" you mean a Nikon F mount adapter for those two lenses. If that's correct, then "yes" those lenses will attach to the same F mount on the D5300... and they'll work to the same extent that those lenses work on the Nikon F50... in manual modes... you'll still have to manually set the aperture, and manually focus.

Nikon hasn't changed the F mount in decades now, except to add electrical connections between the various lenses and bodies.... It's still the same physical bayonet connection...

Ianoz

I would like to thank you all for your welcome and I hope to be a good member,
In reply to your information FredKingston maybe I did not make it clear, the adapter is only used with the Olympus, the two lenses’s fit the F 50 and auto focus and set the aperture. Only with the adapter on the Olympus is there is no electrical connection.

aroy

I would like to thank you all for your welcome and I hope to be a good member,
In reply to your information FredKingston maybe I did not make it clear, the adapter is only used with the Olympus, the two lenses’s fit the F 50 and auto focus and set the aperture. Only with the adapter on the Olympus is there is no electrical connection.

If the AF is the older type that requires motor in body, then it will not AF with the D5300. For that you need the D7xxx series or the FX bodies.

If the lenses have CPU, they will meter with the newer bodies.

The best course of action is to take the lenses to a camera shop and request them to let you try the body with your lenses. You will immediately know what works and what does not.